Ceiling Paint Tint

Old 10-15-08, 03:03 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Paint Tint

Hello all,
This forum has been so helpful for my recent projects, I was hoping I could get help in the decorating section. I recently had the popcorn scraped off and the ceilings finished. Now I need to paint the ceilings. People have mentioned to me that I should add a percentage of the wall paint into the white ceiling paint.

Let's say that 100% of a color mix is used to make the wall paint. People have told me that 10% of this should be added to the white ceiling paint, others have said 25%. The wall color is light mocha and I don't want the ceiling to turn out too dark and make the room small but I want my crown to be highlighted.

What is the correct amount (or popular) amount to add?

Thank you,
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-08, 03:27 PM
S
Generally speaking ceilings are painted white with a flat ceiling white paint.That's not a requirement but is the usual thing.

As for mixing your own tinted paint into the white you must be careful with this kind of idea.You have to make sure you make enough for the whole job at one time as it is unmatchable.

All I can say is start off with a small amount and work upward mixing thoroughly.A better idea would be to go where you got your paint and have them mix one or two tints lighter as all mixed paint has companion shades for trim work etc usually on the same color chip.

Old 10-15-08, 05:03 PM
Hi Kevin,

It depends of the colors and the effect you are attempting to create--> a dark painted ceiling will look lower, a light painted ceiling will look higher
It also depends of the size of the room, windows / doors (color and size). Perhaps you can post a picture?

Other option--> Sherwin Williams has a color visualizer (on line and free) where you can choose combining colors for walls and ceilings, and then, get the color composition for each one

Old 10-16-08, 04:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I've painted a lot of ceilings with lighter version of the wall color - most were 1/4 or 1/2 tint of the wall formula. Having the paint mixed at the paint store insures being able to duplicate the color if needed.

Old 10-16-08, 05:46 PM
T
Same color on ceiling or a shade or two lighter can result in the illusion of greater height and space. You can experiment with your ratio or use the color chips from which you chose your paint. Simply pick the next shade or two lighter for your ceiling. The latter seems like the safer alternative. Calculating the exact amount of paint for the ceiling and achieving the ratio may be challenging. Most tend to pick the same, or the next shade or two lighter off the paint chips.