Cover that shiny avocado trim, but how?

Old 06-01-09, 07:27 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Cover that shiny avocado trim, but how?

Greetings. I could really use any advice. The DH and I are repainting the living room (which was in four shades of green that did not go together). I painted the walls off-white because I like using the furniture, floors and art choices for my splashes of color, and the walls look great! But there's high-gloss, dark avocado paint all along the trim, the boards that run along the top and bottom of every wall, and all over the closet door, the bathroom door, even the entry door. It's pretty ugly.

I keep dithering as to what to change the color to. It has to be nice enough that it won't look odd on the closet, the bathroom door, the entry door and the trim. I was hoping for something gentle and neutral, but the more I look, the less I know what to do. Thoughts?

If you're thinking it depends on the flooring and the furniture, trust me, I'm completely redoing those too, so their colors are not yet existent. (I read the sticky on choosing colors, but really need to get the trim done regardless.)

Old 06-01-09, 08:18 PM
In this case, is better to choose the furniture first and set the color after.
It doesn't make sense set a color for trim and buy new furniture after it

Old 06-07-09, 07:20 PM
hindsight is 20/20, but we need to learn from mistakes. i can't help but wonder if the ceilings needed painting? because the ONLY time to paint them is before you paint the walls. and the only time to paint trim is before you paint the walls! yep, you've done it in the wrong order! it's so easy to paint ceilings when you don't have to worry about getting the paint on the trim (since you'll be repainting the trim anyway). and it's so much easier to paint trim, when you can slop it into the corners really good without worrying about getting it onto the walls (since you'll be repainting the walls anyway). then last but not least, you paint the walls & cut in carefully UP TO the trimwork.

that said, maybe your ceilings didn't need painting. and maybe you have plenty of wall paint left over to touch up the booboos from doing the trim.

also - i think it looks best, and creates a unified, pulled together look, to have all the trimwork in the home the same color/stain. that said, if you think you'd want white woodwork, you're okay with your cream walls. but if you think you'd rather not have stark white anywhere, then maybe you should've used that cream on your woodwork and used a darker cream/taupe/beige/whatever on the walls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: