Question about stained/painted doors in home

Old 05-21-10, 02:25 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question about stained/painted doors in home

Hello,
New here and I'm facing a slight issue that I'd like to get opinions on. I'm building a new home and have decided to use solid wood, six panel interior doors throughout. I'm going to paint baseboards, crown molding, casings, and other trim white but plan on staining the main interior doors (bedrooms, bathrooms) a light color. My question is would it be OK to paint closet doors inside these rooms white when the main doors are stained? Just wondering how this might look and if this would be a bad idea to mix stained doors with painted? Thank you for any opinions that anyone may have on this.

Old 05-21-10, 04:00 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi dgood, welcome to DIY forums!

As a matter of fact there is not right or wrong regarding this issue, however, I'd say a stained bedroom door + a white closet door will look a little uncoordinated
Some ideas
- You can paint the interior side of the bedoorm door in white
- Work with the bedroom walls--> example--> if you are going to paint the bedroom walls using a eggshell / cream color--> paint the closet door in a clear tan --> visually speaking, the tan color will be blending with the clear stain of the bedroom door

Old 05-21-10, 04:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
from a painter's perspective

While wood panel doors stain [or natural] nicely, they don't paint as well as their cheaper masonite cousins. The panels are installed in a manner that allows them to move with humidity changes. Rarely noticeable with stain but always noticeable with paint - especially white or light colors.

IMO it will look better [and less maintainence too] if all the wood doors are stained and poly'd......... or use masonite and paint them all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: