cheap old countertop made of???

Old 12-10-00, 04:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Hello,
I am living in a rented apartment and am dying to redo the countertop. I have seen some interesting ideas of the site, but I am really not sure what my current countertop is made of, so I don't know how to proceed. The base looks like particle board and on top there seems to be a smooth layer of this horrible checkered pink coating which wraps the whole board from the back splash and around the front edges. This stuff is like a sponge and soaks up grape juice stains instantly. I don't own the place so I don't want to invest much or take on any risky projects and get in trouble with my landlord. The current counter is so ugly, I am sure if I do something nice, he won't even notice. Do you have any advice? What do I have...is it laminate? Is there anything I can do to fix it up for under 100$ and without having to unglue the sink from the current board? Thanks in advance,
-E

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-00, 02:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb New Counter

It sounds to me like you have a laminated counter and the best way of dealing with your problem would be to replace it.

It's not that expensive to replace but you'll need a 'handyman' to fit it. Maybe the landlord will go half way to meeting the cost and provide the maintenance man?

I've replaced the counter in one kitchen for approx 50 (sterling) and you can get hold of such a good range from the local DIY stores these days.