High ceiling & walls

Old 12-23-00, 08:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Can you give me some ideas for my entry way? I have 12' ceilings and stairs going to the upstairs and stairs going to the base-ment.With the stairs in the way I can't reach to paint (do not want to paint if I don't have to) and to use a ladder is very difficult.They are painted white now. Do you have any other idea's that would work for me? They are looking pretty grungy looking, help!
Blawat

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-00, 02:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink High Ceilings

This is a very common problem!

If you need the area re-decorating, it really is worth getting in an experienced painter-decorator. It can be expensive, but it is well worth it!

If this is not an option for you, you could try a couple of 'tricks' to make the space more appealing. I've tried this on one home that was on the market...

White is a good base to work from so I suggest adding a wooden dado rail about 3ft from the floor. This can be painted white (which I always think looks very fresh) or stained with wood stain to match any wood you may already have.

Under the new rail, paint it a strong contrasting colour, depending on such things as flooring colour, other colours used in the house. A rich plum for example can add warmth to a large space and being a dark colour will not show the dirt as much.

Add pictures and mirrors above the rail along the length of the hall way to break up the 'white' and take the eye off any 'dinginess'.

Good lighting is always important in hall ways, so investing in a new light fitting can make a real difference too!

Take a look at http://www.housedoctorintheuk.co.uk for more hints and tips.