Southwestern???

Old 12-26-00, 03:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Redecorating for the first time in 15 years...would like to do a "Southwest" theme...but am basically clueless.
Have just installed a laminate floor in pine..just ordered a couch and love seat that is mostly jade with a bit of beige "brushed in"...no design, a very basic entertainment center (also in pine) Received a chimnea for Christmas...(my inspiration)..have a table top adobe waterfall and a candle holder which I picked up today...other than that????...I would love some assistance!!!
Thanks so very much for any advice at all!!!..(new here..so hoping I did this right)

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-00, 03:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Southwestern ideas

Jinny, (you've got it right alright! New is good and I hope I can help!)

Not being from the USA, I'm guessing what the 'Southwestern' look is, but I have a few ideas, kinda country perhaps...

what you have discribed sounds lovely and you are half way to defining your new scheme.

One thing you could try is adding pine panelling up to three feet from the floor and edging with a dado rail.

On the wall above the panelling, you could paint it a pale jade green (continuing the colour scheme from your couch). Dulux do a 'Jade Light' from their classic colour range, which would look lovely and fresh against the pine.

Checked curtains and matching cusion covers in pale green and yellow will help tie the scheme together.

You could even add a pine plate rack (about a foot from the ceiling) for pots and collectables.

In time you might want to update the look by lime waxing the pine to lighten and freshen the whole scheme, without spending a fortune!!

Visit http://www.housedoctorintheuk.co.uk for more hints and tips.

Old 01-02-01, 10:12 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool Southwest Style

I am from the southwest (New Mexico). You have a good start and maybe I can give you some ideas without it becoming overbarring. Southwest is very natural & earthy. But usually has a punch of color. Rather than Jade, try to use more turqoise shades, mixed with colors typically found in indian rugs of, earthtones and even red and black. The green in your sofa can blend nicely with those colors with the right accessories. Pull in an indian (style) rug, woven baskets, (not country style baskets) there is a difference. If you can find any cheap ones that are light & natural, darken them with a little wood stain instead of paint and they will still look natural. Lots of natural textures such as woven textiles for pillows and throws. Window treatments such as iron curtain rods with simple finials, or stripped bark branches are great too, curtains out of natural woven fabrics hung either by rings or ties. Easy to make. Antiques work well in Southwest style, but you can also use more contemporary pieces if they are simple. Also some iron candle wall sconces would look nice with the pine floors. Paint should be something more than flat color paint. If you want to use white you can, but put in on with a dappling brush or sponge so it gives it a textured adobe feel. If you want color, choose a couple adobe colors and do some faux painting, or Ralph Lauren has a paint called "Suede" which is beautiful! Hopefully some of these ideas will help you.