bed canopy

Old 01-04-01, 07:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a four poster bed that i would like to build a canopy above. I don't want to attach it to the tops of the bed posts but rather to the ceiling. I was wondering if anyone had any idea how i could go about doing this. I was thinking of making a frame to screw to the ceiling and making fabric panels that are stapled to the frame that hang down where they should, but i don't know if this will work, or maybe there's an easier way to go about making this. I know there's going to be a lot of work involved in making this, if anyone could give me some pointers it would be most helpful, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-01, 08:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool Canopy bed.......

That's one way it can be done, just using 1X1's or 2X2's. I have also seen it done with curtain rods or 1/2" pipe that hang from hooks in the ceiling at each corner. The fabric can then be fed on like curtains and makes it much easier to remove for cleaning or replacing.

Sounds like fun. I'm trying to come up with a canopy or valance over my bed too, but I have cathedral ceilings in my bedroom so it's a bit more of a challenge. Most likely will have to go with a valance from the wall.

Lets us know how it works!
Suzanne

Old 01-06-01, 01:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink Another Idea!

I've seen mosquito nets used to frame the bed instead of a canopy. We can get hold of kits in the UK that have a hoop that attaches to the ceiling, from the Swedish company IKEA for about 19.99 and they look very romantic.

http://www.housedoctorintheuk.co.uk

Old 01-08-01, 08:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Canopy

Yes, the misquito nets are great. My daughters room is a fun wild animal theme and she has a misquito net over her bed.

Old 01-10-01, 06:56 PM
Dana_D
Visiting Guest
Super easy canopy

I made a super easy canopy for my daughters room that came out really beautifully. I attached eyehooks into the studs above the bed (on the ceiling) then threaded button thread (heavy strength thread available at the fabric store) through the eye hook holes (I doubled it, and tied very strong knots). Then I draped the fabric over the thread, and stitched the fabric with one stitch to the eye hooks so it doesn't move around. If you use a color coordinated thread it doesn't show up. And I covered the eye hooks with ribbon. I used a really light fabric, chiffon I think. It is still attached to the ceiling after several months, and looks great. Good luck!