Ideas to make narrow room look wider?

Old 01-08-01, 04:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Hello,
Our spare bedroom, currently being used as an office/piano room, needs a facelift. It is currently painted all white with beige carpet. The room is approx. 7x14 with the entry door and closet covering one of the 7' sides. The closet doors are the mirrored kind. There is a bathroom door in the middle of one of the long sides. We are looking for any decorating tips that would help make the room appear wider, warmer, and more appealing. We live in the mountains and the rest of the house has lots of natural pine as well as rich warm tones. This is the coldest room in the house due to its placement. I am itching to spruce this room up but am afraid that I may inadvertantly make it look even longer and narrower! Can anyone help?

A&C

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-01, 01:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

If you paint the two short ends in a darker shade than the two longer walls you will make the room appear shorter. Having mirrored doors helps (if they are down the 'long' sides).
I would go for a purple and mauve to warm the room or two tone green would fit in the rest of the house.

See http://www.housedoctorintheuk.co.uk for one example of purple on my portfolio!
NEW to the site is the FREE HouseDoctor clinic…try it out!