painting interior cedar walls

Old 01-15-01, 02:38 PM
Visiting Guest
all of our walls are cedar. They have never had a finish of any kind put on them(the house is 20yrs. old) and they are stained badly I would like to paint them but am afraid of them bleedling throught also there are some knots would these also bleed through. thanks

J.Osadchuk

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-01, 08:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Post cedar walls

How beautiful! You could sand them down to take off any surface stains and then leave them be. But if you must paint them then you can start with a primer like Kiln 123, this will seal any stains or knots against bleeding. I find I need at least 2 coats to create a nice base to work on. Now you can pick your color. Use a latex paint.

Old 01-16-01, 04:35 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
J. Osadchuk, Be sure to use the KILZ Original(oil) or any oil/shellac based primer first. Cedar is a known bleeder. Not just the knots but sap and even the different colors in the wood will come through latex paint or primer....Mike

Old 01-16-01, 12:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks to Mike and Gini for answering my question on painting cedar walls so quickly. We live in a very small community and do not have access to professional help so when the painter comes this week to give his estimate I want to know what Iam talking about and to also make sure that he is using the correct product. This has been the only site to respond to my questions Iam very pleased and many thanks.

J.Osadchuk