remove acrylic paint!!!!!

Old 01-16-01, 02:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I mistakenly stenciled a border in my kitchen with acrylic "permanent" paint. How do I remove this without removing the paint in my kitchen? Should I paint over the stencil? If so, what should I use to cover the stencil without it coming through the new paint? The acrylic colors that I used were red and hunter green.

Please Help!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-01, 02:35 PM
Visiting Guest
I would sand it down first in the area you stenciled, than I would paint that area with a paint that will cover the color fully like kiln123. Now, paint the same area with your base color, as many coats as it takes (at least 2 some times 3), and if need be do the last coat over the whole section. The only thing I know of that will take it off is goof off but it can be very damaging to wood. Even then I think you will bave to do the repainting as I wrote before. Why take the chance?

Old 01-19-01, 04:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb new solution

It's funny that right after I tell you how I would get rid of the design I have something happen that I needed to take off the stencil as well. My 7 yr old picked up a drawer I had just stenciled and smeared the paint. The paint was still a bit wet when I found it with dry stenciling next to it. I ended up having to remove part of the design. Since it was wet I tried Goo Gone, a citrus cleaner, it didn't take off the dryed stencil but worked fine on the wet. Because I was removing red paint I had to go over it a few times. I started to notice that the blue paint (that was dry) was starting to come off as well. So, you might try this on your dried on paint, it will take some time but it seems to leave the paint underneath alone. Course if you rub too hard you might take that off to. Hope this got to you before you started on the sanding. Both will work but this is less work.

Old 01-19-01, 11:20 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thank you for your input on my situation. I received your second message prior to sanding. I'm going to try your "Goo Gone" idea. I happen to have a bottle of Goo Gone at home. Hopefully this will work. I'll keep you posted.

Old 01-22-01, 10:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I tried the Goo Gone. It didn't help. I guess I will have to try sanding.