How to use those cheap solid premade framed art for just the frame?

Old 11-25-12, 06:13 PM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to use those cheap solid premade framed art for just the frame?

They sell preframed "art" (I wouldn't call it that as they always look poor, fade badly or look very dated after a year) at places like Hobby lobby, micheals, walmart, etc. Well I notice they always have a frame around them and what appears to be a solid back or at least appear that way.

Is it possible to take out the cheap crap inside and just use the frame? Only problem I can see is they purposely make the frames and what goes inside a different size than the standard sizes. I guess so people dont buy them just for the glass and frame. Granted I could cut out a mat border I suppose to make something fit in there.

If you know what I'm talking about, please let me know if you've done this before with those cheap art pieces.

Thanks

Old 11-26-12, 06:12 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
My boss has a lot of prints and a couple originals and he spends more getting this stuff framed than what this kind of stuff costs in the first place. We've talked about getting some of this stuff to use the frames but never have. If you go this route, please post back your results.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: