small bedroom

Old 02-21-01, 08:02 PM
Visiting Guest
How can I make a small bedroom (11' x 12') feel and look larger? We had to move and reduce the size of the only window in the room (which was in the middle of the far wall) and now the room seems to have shrunk! The new window is as tall, but only half as wide and is not centered, but is near the far corner. I have a white textured ceiling, antique white walls and woodwork, & taupe carpet. The only furniture in the room is a super single waterbed and a desk. There are wall-mounted shelves starting at about chest heighth with the highest about 12 inches from the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-01, 09:27 AM
Resqman
Visiting Guest
Accent Wall

I have heard that painting/wallpapering one wall a dark color draws the eye to that wall making the room dimensions change.

Old 02-22-01, 06:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Which wall would I paint? Or what design/pattern of wall paper would make it look larger? What would a border do?

Old 02-24-01, 11:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Hope this helps.

color schemes

I copied this from another site I answered:

As rule of thumb, lighter colors create the illusion of space, and darker colors
contain that space. But this rule allows for more than white ceilings. Bold colors like
salmon pink and hunter green have become common, making whites an
invaluable lighting accent. Door, trims, and fireplaces rely on white and lighter
colors, energizing the darker tones.
It is becoming more common to use very light color tints for trims and ceilings, ie:
sea-foam green in a green room. Though not quite pastel, these colors subtly
continue the color of the room without sacrificing lightness and brightness. You
might try painting a wall very dark or even two adjacent walls. The remaining walls,
then, are painted with a light taupe or a pale pastel, and the walls recede. The
room opens up. This same theory can be used to modify the feel of oddly-shaped
rooms. Dark and warm colors will advance walls, light cool colors will cause them to
resede.