Color Help w/ Dark Green

Old 03-01-01, 12:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Remodeling our small bathroom we have chosen a Natural Maple vanity and a Dark Green Granite countertop. Fixtures are white. Tub and shower faucets are white w/polished brass. We need help deciding on the color for the floor ceramic tile. The largest area of flooring will be only 4'x 6' rectangle. The toilet sits back in a cubby hole that is only 30 inches wide and about 4 ft. deep. Is lighter colored ceramic tile better? Do I need to incorporate the Dark Green Color of the vanity top in other areas? Such as a wallpaper border or simply the towels and other decor?
Would painting the walls different colors or tones change the appearance?
Thanks....Confused and Design-challenged in IL...

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-01, 02:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

I prefer to accent with my colors than take over the room with a color. When you have a small room it will appear larger with a light color than with a dark color on the walls. As for the flooring, dark can work, it will ground the room so it doesn't feel as if you are going to float away. My sister has a small bathroom and what she did was use two colors of tile, one white and one dark green. The tiles are 12" sq. not the little tiles you see so often. The checkerboard pattern looks wonderful. Light does wonders for a small room. Ours was like a dungeon till we put a skylight in. It took a long time for me to realize that the lights were not on during the day.

Old 03-02-01, 11:04 AM
Resqman
Visiting Guest
I would use a taupe or beige tile, 4"x4" or 6"x6", on a diagonal with a full tile border. It would be light, but add visual interest with the grout lines on the diagoinal. The taupe/beige color will complement the dark green granite and incorporate the maple wood tone. For more interest, add small, 2"x2", dark green or black tiles at every third or fourth intersection. Cut the corner off four of the 6"x6" tiles at the intersection. The small tile fits in the space.

The taupe/beige could limit you in choices when redocorateing. A white floor would match your fixtures and then the only permanent color to decorate with would be the countertop.

I would suggest adding the dark green in small amounts. Towels, floor mats, border papers, window treatments, picture frames, artwork, soaps, etc. For accessories on the top of the granite, I would fall back to the taupe/beige color scheme or the white/chrome of your fixtures. Either way they will provide a nice color contrast to the dark countertop.

As an alternate to dark green accessories, you might think of purple and taupe. The green countertop, dark purple, and taupe will blend nicely. Maple is often combined with chrome and black. A little bit of black goes a long way. The black, taupe, and chrome would blend with the green since black and taupe are both neutral colors. I envision a mostly taupe room with green countertop and a few black and chrome accents. Very restful, very modern.

Also by putting the color in the accessories, you can redocorate with different accessories instead of redoing the more expensive structural compontents. For the walls a rag rolled or sponged taupe, beige, off-white, and either just the right shade of yellow or a hint of dark green would add life to the walls.

I will admit that I enjoy high contrast. Dark on a light background or visa versa. Monochromatic is not my style.

Old 03-02-01, 11:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking Rapid Responses..Thanks

Thank you for your quick response. Now I'm off to the Home Store! I was thinking of doing the diagonal tile. Thanks for reassuring me. Also the small green tiles sounds great. I like the look of the white and brass fixtures with the green top-very rich in contract. Now-about the walls.
Above the 5ft wide shower, we have a 8" space between the top of the shower walls-on all three sides...would a paper border work there? Or would it define the space too much? I don't like the idea of "outlining" an area, but it would add some interest with the all white shower walls. Whattayathink?

Old 03-02-01, 11:47 AM
Resqman
Visiting Guest
Wallpaper in bathrooms is always a little iffy. Wallpaper paste is water soluable. With the high humidity of bathrooms, wallpaper and borders tend to want to peel at the edges and seams. You can help combat that to some degree by using seam sealer and applying a paste instead of using prepasted. The most common problem area is near the shower since you get a lot spray and rising steam.

I would say if you are going to add a border at the ceiling, you want it go all the way around the room. If you only put a border around the tub area, it will draw your attention to that alcove. Borders come in varying sizes from 4" to 10". Several ways to handle that situation. If you have 8" between the tile and ceiling, make sure your border paper is 8" or less. If you choose a border more than 8", you would just have to trim the bottom of the border over the tub area. This may or may not be noticable depending on the shower door or shower curtain treatment as well as the pattern in the border.

I am 6'2". Almost every shower surround is too low in my opinion. The water bounces off my shoulders and up beyond the tile onto the wall. Additionally when I rinse my head, I get a lot of bounce up onto the wall. If you only have 8" between the tile and the ceiling, I would just tile all the way up to the ceiling. Assumming you are using 4" tiles, that is only two more rows. Can't be that much money.