Does a pantry match the cabinets or the room trim?

Old 06-20-14, 11:09 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Does a pantry match the cabinets or the room trim?

I have bi-fold doors on a walk in pantry. The room trim is a different off white than the cabinets. Are those doors considered part of the cabinetry?
I've got them primed, but then it occurred to me I'm not sure what color to paint them. My kitchen is only 12 x 16 so I want to stay with either the white on the cabinets or the white on the trim.

Old 06-20-14, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I'd paint them either cabinet color or whatever your other doors in the house are (if painted doors of course).

Old 06-20-14, 11:22 AM
The door in that room is natural wood. These were natural too but my wife wanted something different. I recently built that corner nook that I believe you helped me solve the corner seating problem. That was painted the same as the trim. The pantry is on the same end of the room.
The room is also getting a new floor so I want to get all of the painting before it gets installed.

Old 06-20-14, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 407 Upvotes on 334 Posts
I think I'd match them to the cabinets, altho a pic or two might help.

Old 06-20-14, 11:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Pics might be helpful Is your woodwork painted? but the doors stained?
I'm thinking I'd paint it to match the woodwork [it has casing/jamb, right?] It boils down to - does it look more like part of the cabinetry or the woodwork?

Old 06-20-14, 03:44 PM
Right now it looks like woodwork. It has a jamb/casing. They were stained but I have them primed to paint. Chair rail and the rest of the molding is painted.
I haven't built the cabinets yet. You know that old saying about the shoe makers kid? Well my bride has been nagging me for years to do our own kitchen. I have a couple of the upper cabinets built. Like I said it's not a huge kitchen and I have no good excuse for never having done them. When you build cabinets all day for somebody else building your own is always a little more than you want to do. She has the color picked out but I don't want to paint them. I hate painting, she is tired of the ones we have. I had hoped to buy some time by building that breakfast nook. I'll send you a pic of that when I get it installed. Because of the holiday, stuff is taking longer to get installed. A carpet installer I ain't , that's worse than painting. Last time I tried tightening one I cracked myself in the hand with a hammer when I missed the head of the set chisel. Laid me up a few weeks and I had to sit around and drink beer instead of working. That was really hard
I thought if I had an idea of what it should be I'd only have to paint it once. I tried taking a pic of the colors but they are so close they looked the same on the computer.

Old 06-21-14, 03:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A carpet installer I ain't ........ Last time I tried tightening one I cracked myself in the hand with a hammer when I missed the head of the set chisel.
did you mean cabinet installer ??? or did we change gears

Given a choice, I'm not overly fond of painted cabinets. Stain/poly will wear better and not show dirt/wear as easily as paint. When painting cabinets, beside using a good primer it's important to choose a quality enamel! Cheap latex enamels are prone to chip/peel Oil base enamels dry to the hardest finish but whites will yellow over time. Waterborne enamels dry almost as hard as oil but won't yellow.

If I were going to paint the cabinets , I'd use the same color for both the woodwork and the cabinets .... unless a contrasting color was desired.

Old 06-21-14, 03:34 PM
No Mark I ran off topic and was talking about a carpet installation. My wife wants carpet in the kitchen and we are waiting on the installer.
Building cabinets is what I do for a living. I agree, nothing looks more pathetic in a kitchen than painted cabinets. Somehow it got to be the new look, I like the look of wood. Maybe that's why I've been dragging my feet on this project. I appreciate the heads up on what kind of paint to use. I painted 1 set of doors to match the woodwork, it passed my wife's approval. I used BIN primer, the woodwork is a latex. I'll make sure I use and enamel for the cabinets, thanks. Next to painting I hate scraping paint. LOL

Old 06-21-14, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Carpet? Kitchen? Those 2 words should never ever go together...that's just crazy. Crazier than laminate even. Tell wifey to sign up and we'll tell her why.

Old 06-21-14, 04:18 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with Vic, I wouldn't want carpet in the kitchen!
It might be nice on your bare feet but keeping it clean could be a nightmare

Old 06-22-14, 05:55 AM
We had commercial grade carpet in there for almost 20 years now and it still looks good. It's seen more than it's share of spills. Not to mention that a lot of times when I come up out of the shop, I forget to take my shoes off. I've tracked a ton of sawdust over it over the years. The only reason she wanted new was to prod me into doing the kitchen.
We had hardwood in there when we bought the house, now that was hard to take care of. Stuff kept getting in the cracks. You're right Mark, carpet does feel good on your bare feet, especially with the winters we get in NY.
George

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: