Side-to-side roller track needed

Old 02-20-15, 06:51 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Side-to-side roller track needed

I want to put a 24-inch wide, 5 foot tall free standing CD rack on a roller track similar to drawer tracks, so it glides back and forth.

But I can't for the life of me find this kind of gliding roller track on the web or in woodworking stores. Please offer suggestions if you know manufacturers or methods to put these together.

More details:

I have a much wider shelf - 44 inches - standing against the wall. I want this 24-inch wide shelf in front, sliding it back and forth to reveal the left or right half of that wider back shelf unit.

I've seen similar library type shelf units that roll back and forth before, mostly for books.

This would be similar to drawer racks - except most drawer tracks are side-mount and I need bottom mount - also I don't really want telescoping arms, I want a track 48 inches wide, so my 24 inch rack is on rollers, and I calculate approx 320 pounds of CD...

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks!

Old 02-20-15, 07:09 PM
M
Like a track for a folding closet door, or for the screen panel on a patio door, or for a barn door?? Don't know if any of them come that small, or might be suitable.

Old 02-20-15, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

What does the bottom of the rack look like ?
It will need to be strong to support a roller system.
The entire rack needs to be well built so it doesn't rack when it's rolled.

Can you post a picture of it ? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/electrical-ac-dc/534445-how-insert-images.html

I'm picturing a wardrobe roller and track..... or even a sliding patio door roller system and track. Some good info here......... http://www.allaboutdoors.com/

Name:  roller.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  26.4 KB

Name:  track.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  24.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-20-15 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-21-15, 06:51 AM
T
photos

Hi Marynurse and PJ, excellent questions, thanks for your eyes. Pictures follow my comments below...

My dream here is something with smaller ball bearings (3/8 inch maybe) inside a lower-and-upper, wide (1 inch?) but flat (1/2 inch) pair of steel tracks...like looking at a side-mount hanging drawer track assemby, but laid down flat...I think I've seen them in old large furniture assemblies but not finding them now.

PJ, your suggestion and diagrams are probably about what I end up with - I really appreciate it, in particular that exact wheel at 2 inches tall is at least do-able as I gaze at my shelves and visualize. Is that diagram from the allaboutdoors.com site? (Marynurse, I think this is also close to your thought about patio door wheels.)

So the bottom of my shelf has an extra deep (10-inch) footboard for stability, is surprising stable but might not be that stable when mounted on 2-inch wheels (I'll find out, methinks). I plan on a 10-or-12 inch wide (or deep) bottom board, tracks on it as far apart as I can mount the wheels, which of course are mounted on the underside of the existing footboard.

As a final touch, an extra-deep shelf mounted from the wall on top to cover the entire thing will finish it off...I could even build an "empty box" around both shelves, with a nice top, and glass or wood doors on front, which might make it look like a real piece of furniture. (Might even make a guide-runner track across the top of the sliding rack for stability.)

Pictures:

Name:  slider_needed_2.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  29.7 KB

Name:  slider_needed_3.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  21.6 KB

Name:  slider_needed_1.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  26.0 KB

...and thanks PJ for that link to image instructions.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Old 02-21-15, 09:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
(Might even make a guide-runner track across the top of the sliding rack for stability.)
I was thinking the same thing as that unit will be top heavy.

I'm still thinking. Others will stop by and add their comments.

Old 02-21-15, 09:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Just passin' through. Yeah, you'll need something at the top and bottom. Consider this as an example. Maybe too bulky, but safe. Rolling Library Ladder - Rolling Ladders & Doors

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: