Help! Opinions on bathroom finishes needed! Single guy, no design talent...

Old 04-15-15, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help! Opinions on bathroom finishes needed! Single guy, no design talent...

Awhile back I posted a question about whether a certain tile looked good and which layout (running bond, etc...) would be appropriate but it got moved over to the tile installation thread. I got a few replies on how to lay tile, which was nice, but I wasn't looking for installation help, just design help.

So I'll try again. the pic below is a mosaic of the look I like (examples on the left) with some samples I picked up (on the right in the pic). My next post will show a pic of my living room to give you an idea of what I've got and want to tie into when doing the bathroom.

Keeping in mind every flooring surface in my house, save the bathrooms, is natural colored oak I decided not to use the dark wood tile for the bathroom floor. In my sample pic you'll see that wood tile but it is there to represent the vanity. I'll make that out of some teak I have...

Looking at my samples -

* brown wood (teak) will be the vanity front, mirror frame and maybe a few other small applications
* white quartz, with small grey flecks, will be the counter top and shower bench
* 12x24 linen look tile (it has a very light grey/tan color look) for the back wall of shower
* small white square tiles for the shower floor and the shower end walls
* bathroom floor - either the large format grey tile or maybe the same 12x24 linen tile as the shower back wall? Is the gray tile too busy, not the right style, adding to many patterns for the other surfaces I have? Other ideas for the floor?

What do you think of the small white tiles for the shower end walls? I didn't know if the linen tiles would be too much on all the shower walls.

Any thoughts, advice or "for the love of Mike, don't do xxxxx!" would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images  
Old 04-15-15, 03:12 PM
To give an idea of what the bathroom should work with...

Attached Images  
Old 04-16-15, 03:28 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
For those following, here is a link to his other post which has an actual picture of the bathroom in question - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/wa...gn-wanted.html

After re-reading your post, I thought there was quite a bit of discussion about design as well as your choices for materials. As contractors, we are naturally going to ask questions about the installation techniques as they are key to a successful install. These days, everyone seems to be taking short cuts and it is important to bring up these discussions early in the process rather than after the fact. This doesn't matter whether you are doing the work yourself, or hiring it out.

A small picture, on line, in a discussion forum is going to be difficult to advise on. Particularly if the details in the tile are subtle such as the linen pattern. I have also found that color and style are very personal. I enjoy shopping with my clients because the more I hear them talk, the more I can zero them in on a combination they really love. Many tile distributors have talented staff on hand that will work on combinations with you for free. If you are randomly picking tile from a box store, you will not get any real help. Sometimes it is worth spending a little more for the materials if you can get the kind of expertise available through a tile distributor. That is all they do, day in and day out.

Old 04-19-15, 07:00 PM
M
I would only use the linen tiles...check on houzz.com and do a search for tile in bathroom and you will see many examples of the linen tile. It is sophisticated and classy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: