Illusion of Height for large room

Old 05-30-15, 02:08 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Illusion of Height for large room

I have a large room, that will be used as a dining and sitting room, semi open to the kitchen area, it does not get much natural light and has low ceilings, I have painted the whole house in a really pale grey. Dulux Lexicon 1/2 strength. Despite everyone saying stay away from greyish colours, it feels much brighter than the original cream, which looked too dirty.
I was looking for help on painting the skirting boards and ceiling, what is going to give me the illusion of height, should I stick with white or go for a 1/4 lexicon on the ceiling and what colour for the skirting boards?

Lights in the room are slowly being moved over to LED cool whites, floor is oak wood and there is an opportunity later to put in a Skylight when the kitchen is remodelled.

Old 05-30-15, 03:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

While I've always preferred white ceilings [and trim] painting everything the same color helps smaller rooms to appear larger. The more contrast there is the more it points out the small size of the room. If you want contrast, a light contrasting color scheme is better for a small room.

" Dulux Lexicon 1/2 strength" - do you mean 1/2 tint ??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: