Need Color Advice

Old 04-18-01, 02:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I want to paint the bathroom in my new apartment. The tub, toilet, and sink are avacado green; the shower and counter tiles are off-white, almost grey; and my towels and bath mat are burgandy. What color should I paint the walls???

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-01, 09:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool Consulted my autumn color wheel

to be sure there wasn't a better choice but what looked like the best choice is a brownis taupe. If the towels are on the rusty side of burgandy they should all go extremely well. If they are a blue burgandy they will pass.

Old 04-25-01, 05:41 PM
Visiting Guest
THANKS, GINI!

Thank you for the *excellent* suggestion, Gini. I chose a grayish taupe and my bathroom looks *fabulous*. Now I'm about to paint my livingroom. I had a color all picked out, but am now having second thoughts, and I would appreciate your input. My carpet is a rich burgandy with a very subtle light green pattern in it. My sofa and chair are a rich hunter green. My wood is teak. My accents are burgandy and various complimentary shades of green. WHAT COLOR DO I PAINT THE WALLS????

Old 04-26-01, 08:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool What was your first choice?

Your room decor sounds like mine. What is the rest of the room like? How big, windows, ajoining rooms?

Let me know.

Old 04-26-01, 09:10 PM
Visiting Guest
My first choice was Benjamin Moore's 2161, "Kahlua and Cream", a creamy beige with a yellow undertone. But I'm afraid it will look "peachy" on the walls. Now I'm thinking about Benjamin Moore's HC-45, "Shaker Beige", a sandy/grey beige. Other rooms: It's a "studio" apartment with one large living space (25 x 12 ft, the room we're discussing, one small window with teak-coloured shutters), with adjoining small kitchen (currently white walls and cabinets with oak/teak coloured wood trim), and small bathroom (which you already know about). I've also considered a beige with a green undertone, but I worry that it will be too much "green". I failed to mention in my first message that the room also has three black bookcases, and on the walls hang prints with black frames. As you can see, I'm very indecisive and need help....

Old 04-27-01, 05:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool Your right, don't use the 2161 it would be the wrong undertone.

Your new choice would be better. Let me tell you what I plan to do with my now Dunn Edward's Swiss Coffee white walls: I am painting them a pink base and then a light pink (almost white) over it, which I will rag over to expose the deeper pink. This will give a very textured look, something like a stucco wall without all the mess. Remember, my living room is the same coloring as what you have. If you do use white of any shade, let me recommend using a semi-gloss, much easier to keep clean than flat. Hope this has helped and not made things more difficult. Let me know what you decide or if you need more help.