redecorating arts & crafts living room

Old 06-05-01, 10:39 PM
Visiting Guest
we are going to redecorate our living room...there are hardwood floors under the carpet which we are planning on restoring...we are going to put up wainscoting that matches the woodwork already present...the plaster walls are currently wallpapered...our new furniture is in the warehouse and will probably arrive in a month or so...my question is in what order should we begin redecorating?...we will probably wait for the furniture to arrive before choosing colors...should we wait until we have chosen the colors and rewallpapered/painted before working on the hardwood floors or can we redo the floor before doing the walls?...another question i have is should we paint over the wallpaper or take it off...we are concerned about the condition of the plaster underneath.
any advice you can offer would be much appreciated...

thanks, ksff

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-01, 07:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

This sounds like a job for SUPER PAINTER. No, really, the painting section is a better place to ask this question. There are many professionals who do this everyday who would know more than I would. To me if I were doing it, I would do the floors first. Either way, you should cover the floors (doing the walls before or after). Less work on the clean up. As for the wall paper, you can test an area that isn't seen well, like the corner of the room, behind a door. See what condition the plaster is in. Is the wall paper well attached?
It has to be if you want to paint over it. If not, it will have to come down. Then do repairs on the plaster as needed. If this is the case, at this point I would change my mind and say do the walls first than the floor.

Still, I would pose this question again in the painting section. Get a pros out look.