Hanging wooden sign

Old 04-22-20, 05:12 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hanging wooden sign

Several months ago, after my grandfather passed, I inherited a wooden sign that he painted for the family dairy in the 40s. The dimensions are 36"x48"x3/4" and it weighs approximately 36 pounds. There are two eyebolts at the top of the sign, but I don't think they can be tightened without removal, which may damage the sign. They're also too far apart for the studs in my house.

I'd hired a handyman, who was planning to tear down a piece of drywall and attach a 2x4 between the studs. But he canceled because of the pandemic and I'm a little apprehensive about tearing up so much of my wall and potentially damaging my sign.

I found several affordable 50" shelves made of solid ash that can be attached to the wall via 3 studs, but I'm unsure how to determine if the shelf could support the weight. Is there any way to calculate the max load the shelf could support?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-20, 12:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 741 Votes on 696 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm a little apprehensive about tearing up so much of my wall and potentially damaging my sign.
Not really understanding what you are trying to do.
Are you trying to hang that sign on a drywalled wall using those threaded eyebolts.

It would certainly look much nicer with the hanging hardware removed.
Then you could use two screws to fasten it to the wall.

Old 04-23-20, 12:42 AM
Received 237 Votes on 224 Posts
Google french cleat, it's a set of mounting brackets for heavy items like mirrors to span several studs.

And you wont have to drill any holes through the face of the sign or tear out drywall.

Old 04-23-20, 02:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 180 Posts
Neat sign!
A simple fix would be attach a 1x4 to the wall with nails/screws and then attach the sign to the 1x4. You could paint the 1x4 to match the wall or accent the sign.

Old 04-23-20, 01:10 PM
M
Thanks--I'm not sure why I didn't think of this. I'm a little stumped about how to screw the eyebolts. Stupid question: is there an easy way to open the eye, screw, and then reattach to the existing mounting hardware? I've attached a closeup of one bolt.

Attached Images  
Old 04-23-20, 01:12 PM
Any time I have opened up an eye bolt is to grab the left side with vise grips and a screwdriver into the gap!

Old 04-23-20, 01:14 PM
M
I'd considered a french cleat, but the sign is painted on both sides. I'd rather not do any damage, even if I can only display one side. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

Old 04-23-20, 01:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 433 Votes on 396 Posts
Eyebolts are not meant to be "screwed" they are meant to be bolted. You drill a hole, slide them through and put a washer and nut on the other side. If you need to screw something in vertically, you'd use something like a furniture bolt (lag on one side, machine screw on the other) then you would connect the machine bolt half of the furniture bolt to the old eye bolt with a barrel nut (coupling nut).

If you don't want the eye bolt on there anymore you have 3 options. Cut it off... bend it open... or take the bolts out of the sign to remove the bracket its held on by.

Also have no idea how you intend to mount the sign. Or shelves. No details. One suggestion would be to mount a long board to the wall horizontally. Screw the board to the studs. Then screw hooks into that board wherever they need to go. Then get some machine bolt hooks and barrel bolts and hang your existing eyebolts from that. They look far longer than necessary, so you might want to cut them to length. Put a nut on them first... spin it all the way down, then cut them off. When you remove the nut it will clean up the threads.

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 04-24-20, 03:49 AM
but the sign is painted on both sides
So that is new information, then you need to think about mounting to the ceiling rather than the wall and simply use the existing eye bolts!