What to do with wood bookcase and ceiling

Old 01-28-21, 09:25 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What to do with wood bookcase and ceiling

Hi all,
We have a den with a vaulted ceiling. It has a stone fireplace with 80s oak bookcases on either side. I'd like to paint the bookcases an off-white color to match the cabinets in the adjoining kitchen, and replace the oak base and chair rail with painted pine (or maybe eliminate the chair rail altogether). Not sure sure what to do with the ceiling which has stained wood beams and T&G pine.
Any thoughts?
Would it look OK if we left the ceiling as is and have off-white bookcases and painted trim?
Or would painting the cabinets kill the rustic feel to this room? We need to do something with orangey bookcases.
BTW the breakfast room is to the left where we already replaced oak trim with white.

Thanks, Don

Old 01-28-21, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 144 Votes on 112 Posts
Unless you like the hunting lodge look, I would go ahead and paint the bookcases, cabinets and the wood slats in the ceiling the off white for an updated look. I'd only leave the beams in the wood look, altho you could paint them a darker color.

Old 01-28-21, 10:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
One warning on painting the shelves, latex enamel [especially cheap latex] doesn't dry hard enough to prevent heavy items or items left in place for a long time from sticking to the paint. The top line latex enamels and/or waterborne enamels won't do that.

Personally I like how it looks now ...... but I'm not the one that lives there

mxmom voted this post useful.
Old 01-28-21, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 144 Votes on 112 Posts
On a side note, are you leaving that ceiling fan up there? Looks too small, too high up and uncentered. Not really liking how it looks now.

Old 01-28-21, 10:09 AM
Received 462 Votes on 430 Posts
Yea painted shelves and books sometimes do not go well together!

PS, I think that looks good also!

Old 01-28-21, 10:16 AM
D
Yep thanks, I know about the correct paint for shelves.

Regarding the fan, not sure what to do with it. We could replace it, but I don't want to eliminate it. As far as centering, i think it's pretty close, could be an illusion in the photo. I really don't want to mess with that beam to move it.

I do like the look of the room, it's just the 80s orange oak I'm tired of.

Old 01-28-21, 10:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 787 Votes on 724 Posts
I have painted pine shelves at my office. Even though the shelves were painted over two years ago heavy things still stick. They don't peel up the paint but if they've been sitting there a while it takes a good pull and an awful rip/pop sound to move something.

As for what to paint. I think I'd paint everything white except for the beams and mantle. Or to help prevent the sticking problem you could paint the wall behind the bookshelves white and leave the shelves stained.

Old 01-28-21, 10:26 AM
D
That might be an option. The room is dark at night and painting the back might help brighten it up. There is a can light on either side of the fireplace, but they do not provide much light in the bookcase. FYI the back of bookcase it also same oak.

Old 01-28-21, 10:53 AM
Received 80 Votes on 68 Posts
Here is an example. The beams were painted to cover water marks. The ceiling planks and the beams were both originally stained.

Old 01-28-21, 06:48 PM
D
If I were to just paint the back of the bookcase, should I also paint the sides or leave them stained?

Another thought, what about a light sanding then applying a gel stain to change the color. Would that work?

Thanks, Don

Old 01-29-21, 03:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If I were to paint it just in part - I'd just paint the back.
It's a LOT harder to restain lighter than it is to go darker. The odds are to go noticeably lighter you'd need to strip the existing finish so you could start with bare/raw wood.

Old 01-29-21, 02:45 PM
D
Thanks. I was thinking a brown stain to lose to orange.

Painting the back sounds like the easiest change to make. Of course id have to fill the oak grain.

Old 01-29-21, 02:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You don't have to fill the grain, it will show if you just prime and paint but IMO it being the back it won't look bad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: