need help with accent color or unifying furniture styles

Old 10-03-01, 11:57 AM
Lauraa
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

I went about my redecorating all wrong, but it's too late now. First I painted the living/dining room walls kind of a putty color. 'Course the furniture looked shabby, so I bought a new couch and chair and one half, plus ottoman in a taupe chenille. Its a greenish taupe and looks good with the walls. All the occasional tables/entertainment center plus dining room set is oak. The other two chairs in the room are wingback covered in a medium blue with a little apple (rose colored) figure in it. Now those two chairs are traditional and the sofa and other chair are more contemporary. The toss pillows (for the new furniture) are an abstract print, taupes, rusts, navy. Finally (naturally in my backward style), I put in new carpet. the color is toasted coconut. looks good with everything.

The big question. How do I make the blue chairs look better in this room? They were expensive and are in wonderful shape - maybe change the accent pillows on the couch, to something more traditional? also the chair pads in the dining room are covered in the same blue fabric. Those could be replaced though, kind of grungy looking. I can sew, so I have some options besides purchasing accents.

Window coverings are white wooden blinds. Lamps are a neutral colored ginger jar style with linen shades.

Any advice is appreciated.

Laura

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-01, 04:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi Lauraa-

The best way to integrate your chairs in with your new furniture is just what you were thinking- new throw pillows. I would probably look for a material that combined both your taupe colors and your blue- maybe even a plaid or floral that also picked up the rose tones in your chairs.

Now you just need to repeat those colors a few places to establish your color scheme as deliberate. The dining room chair pads sound like a good place to start- use the same or one of the coordinated prints from your throw pillows. Then look to your accessories and repeat a few of the same colors- candles, wreaths, table runner, wallpaper border, lap quilt, curtains, pictures, area rug, etc. A general rule of thumb is to use a color no less than three times.

Still too formal to "go" with your new furniture? Slipcover them for a more casual look- something with a different texture to contrast with your chenille. Or move 'em to another room and buy more to keep on strengthening the economy!