color scheme opinions

Old 10-25-01, 03:57 AM
blistexluv
Visiting Guest
hi all. i need some advice and thoughts on a color scheme we are contemplating...a decorator i am not!! we are going to be installing a chair railing and crown molding in the lr/dr, which have hardwood floors. we are thinking the wall below the railing will be white, and that above the railing will be blue. certainly not a dark blue, but a bit darker than the really light sky blues one usually sees. the question is the ceiling...do we go white on that or paint it blue? i am afraid that painting it blue will make it too dark, but if we do it white will it look strange to have the wall go white, blue, white (ceiling)? would it help to paint the crown molding white? (we are currently undecided whether we want to go natural or paint it). thanks a lot in advance...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-01, 07:09 AM
Visiting Guest
blistexluv color scheme response

Hi, If I were you i'd go with a gloss white on the lower part of your wall for easy cleaning as white shows dirt fast. If you choose to use a Waynes Coating as you suggested and choose to paint it i would paint it different then white or it won't show up very well. If you stick with white i would go with a gloss again for easy cleaning. I would paint the cieling white as well if you are going to use a blue on the upper area of the wall. Also, just a suggestion but to break the white, blue white at the ceiling and wall area go out and buy a stencil that you can't paint a boarder pattern around your room up there. I've seen it done and it looks absolutely gorgeous!

Hope this helps you out.

Tina

Old 11-05-01, 03:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Hello. Your project sounds great. I would keep the crown moulding the same as the other trim in your lr/dr. If your other trim mouldings are white, then stick with white. If so, you might want to re-think your color plan for the lower wall. Why not try a lighter blue for the lower portion, and then a shade of blue that is 2-3 shades lighter for the ceiling. Using white on the lower wall will lessen the "punch" that your moulding has on the room. Great looking mouldings can make a room!

Old 11-10-01, 12:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

hi, i suggest u paint blue below the chair rail , paint the chair rail white and moldings white and above the c/rail white and the ceiling white..i would use a different shade of white ...by that i mean the walls and ceiling one shade of white and the wood pieces another shade..for example, i have baseboards which are painted white, then above, half way up the wall, i have wood , then chair rail which will be stained the same color as the wood below..then i painted the wall above a different shade of white, and the crown molding above that matches the baseboards and the ceiling matches the above the wood color...all the trim, moldings etc in the house match and they stand out because i chose to use a different shade of white on the walls....you can then stencil to get the blue up above .the eye will travel up if u bring the blue up when u walk into the room.....i used a MAB paint called cloud for the walls and a semi gloss white white color for the baseboards, etc...hope this helps