need help unifying different woods

Old 12-09-01, 03:54 AM
Visiting Guest
need help unifying different woods

Help! I have an old farmhouse with different types of wood throughout the house. The mouldings and doors in my mudroom are white leading to a family room with oak moldings. This is open to a kitchen with nice cherry cabinets but all the moldings and doors are pine. The dining room and living room both have nice old yellow pine molding which is a honey color and very pretty (but old and in need of being redone).

How can I tie all these different woods together? Should I paint them? I don't want to paint the cherry cabinets but would consider painting the rest if I need to. Any help would be great.
Thanks!sas982

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-01, 05:35 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unifying different woods

All hardwoods go together. There is no rule etched in granite somewhere that dictates that everything has to match or that all the wood has to be the same or the same color. I recently toured a home where the builder must have been a lover of wood. There was a wonderful variety of woods throughout, everything from wormy chestnut to walnut, mahogany, and cherry. Often the builders of the old farmhouses, built their homes with lumber cut on the farm. The use of the different woods throughout makes it unique and unlike the homes today where all the woodwork is painted because it is made from fingerjointed scrap wood because it is less expensive than the stain grade.

Old 12-09-01, 07:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the response! I think I will try to refinish most of the wood instead of painting it.

Old 12-09-01, 05:32 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unifying different woods

I think you will be much happier in the long run with refinishing rather than painting. I wish the people who lived in my 80+ year old house had not painted the wood in the bedrooms upstairs. The baseboards are 10" and the interiors of the bedroom doors are painted. The old oak in the hall and the exteriors of the doors are absolutely gorgeous old oak.