very small bathroom..decorating/renovating?

Old 12-10-01, 05:43 AM
Visiting Guest
very small bathroom..decorating/renovating?

My bathroom is 45"w x 105" l x 103"h. The west wall (105") has a window 42"w x72"l (with frame/molding) 35" from north wall, the east wall has a door 24" (40" from north wall), the north wall has toilet 19" and wall-hanging sink 19", the south wall has a tub that fits from east to west. I am looking for decoration ideas. All fixtures are white, but the plumbing needs changed. I want easy care surfaces, but I also want to keep to the look of the century old farm house. It has very wide baseboards, plaster/lath walls & ceiling, which I want to get rid of. Along the south & north edge of the ceiling is an angle sloping downwards due to the 2 1/2 storey house with angled roof. We have to keep a shower and a tub is nice to have with our 2 young children, but not necessary. We like the look of wainscoting, but wonder about mildew & dark colours in such a small space. We are willing to purchase new fixtures if neccesary, but are unsure where to find small-sized options? We like greens, burgandy's, some blue (such as navy or powder), soft to medium hues of yellow. I really like the look of platnium/chrome or chrome/porcelin taps but am unsure how to encorporate traditional colours with such a new metal? Help??? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank-you so much. Sherry

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-01, 03:46 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom renovation

A good place to start is a visit to the showrooms of local bath suppliers and dealers for what is available in bath fixtures. Take your measurements with you so you can discuss sizes. There are smaller size tub/shower units available. Pedestal sinks are popular in small spaces. Make sure they understand that this is a remodel.

While you are out, stop by a magazine stand and pick up some magazines that feature bathrooms. If mold/mildew are concerns, make sure you include a powerful exhaust fan that will give you adequate ventilation in the bathroom. If you are hesitant about the shiny look of chrome going with traditional colors, you should have no fears. Most homes have the shiny chrome fixtures. The brushed pewter look has become more popular because it is not shiny.

Decorating rules were made to be broken, so don't let any stand in the way of progress.

Old 12-11-01, 01:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile very small bathroom..decorating/renovating?-reply

Thank-you for the information. We will take your suggestions and start researching.
Sherry

Old 12-20-01, 11:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Decorating a small bathroom

I faced the same situation about a year ago, and a designer friend of mine advised that I should go against the usual "rule" of not using dark paint in a small space. I didn't take his advice at first, and painted the room a light green. I hated it, and then decided to do a colour-wash over the green with the colour he originally recommended -- taupe. The results were gorgeous -- very rich and luxurious looking. I complimented the walls with chrome fixtures and accessories, and deep burgandy towels and shower curtain. The floor and shower tiles are a textured off-white, which offsets the darkness of the walls and towels.

Old 12-20-01, 01:06 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Decoration small bath

Congratulations! It sounds lovely. Aren't you glad you broke the rules?