carpet color?

Old 01-04-02, 03:59 PM
SwEetAngL
Visiting Guest
carpet color?

Hi, I am having a problem deciding which colors to go with in my living room. My carpet is a cucumber melon (it came with the house) and my boyfriend isn't up for replacing it for quite a while. So I have to find furniture that will look good without being overwhelming. To make it look more like a home and not a bachelor's pad (the way he wants it to look) Also, I want to go with wooden entertainment center and end tables... cherry wood? oak? light? dark? I NEED HELP ASAP!?!? please????
Thanks,
Tristina

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-02, 05:04 PM
kkm
Visiting Guest
As far as colors go, you could try a monochromatic scheme and use different colors of green for drapes, pillows...whatever. I don't believe I would choose cherry wood, the red tones could look a bit garish against the green. I would go with the light oak and bring in some darker greens elsewhere in the room for contrast. If you want an accent color, think about either cream or peach. Good luck, it sounds like a fun project.

Old 01-08-02, 03:21 AM
SwEetAngL
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help!! I hope it ends up fun, right now it is just stressfull

Old 01-08-02, 10:18 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Decorating around a carpet color

Decorating around a carpet color can be challenging, especially when purchasing pieces of furniture that you will have for possibly many years but the carpet color may change.

Actually, any wood species or stain color would be appropriate with green. Both the rich red of cherry and the light red of natural oak or the yellow tones of the golden or spice stained oak are across from green or nearly so on the color wheel, so either red toned or yellow/golden tones would be complementary to the green carpet. The most important things to remember in making decisions about what to put in your home is what makes you happy and if it contributes to the mood and feel that you are trying to create in your home.

Thus, the next question is how do you go about selecting the type of wood for furniture in your home? Sometimes it is difficult to define one's tastes. Look around at the pieces you already have in your home and decide which ones are the most satisfying to you. What types of furniture and kinds of wood catch your eye when you flip through a magazine or walk through a furniture store? If you find that you are drawn to more than one style of furniture or wood, analyze why. Don't be afraid to mix styles and finishes. They can all be unified with the mood you create through colors and accessories.

Both cherry and oak furniture have been quite traditional in American homes. Cherry is considered to be more formal and tends to cost considerably more than oak. Thus, your lifestyle should dictate what you select. If this is the only sitting room you have in your home and it is also going to serve as the TV room and the room where you entertain your guests, then perhaps oak would be a better selection because it is less formal and will fit nicely into any decor from country casual to eclectic to elegant. The room can be dressed up for an afternoon tea or down for the Monday night football game. Later, as lifestyle and circumstances change and if you move to another home that has a formal livingroom and also a family room and desire a formal cherry livingroom and diningroom, the oak will still look beautiful in the familyroom.

I usually avoid forum questions that want to know what color they should paint their walls or carpet their floors. You will get as many different opinions as there are paint chips and fabric swatches. Think about the most memorable rooms you have seen. They have distinct personalities just like the person(s) who live there. Decorating is about ambience, no particular style. It's a matter of how you pull the furnishings, fabrics, lighting and accessories together. It's about you, a very individual taste. Surround yourself with colors and furnishings that make you and those who live in your home happy because you are the most important people you know.

Old 01-08-02, 10:28 AM
SwEetAngL
Visiting Guest
awww :)

Twelvepole,

Once again, you've came to my rescue! hehe I'll keep all that in mind. I prefer the light oak colors, but my boyfriend already has cherry wood endtables and magazine racks and wanted the entertainment center to match. Since we are on a budget right now and can't afford the end tables to match the light oak.

Thanks again,
Tristina

Old 01-08-02, 09:11 PM
Visiting Guest
How about a color change?

One suggestion we give our rental readers (who usually are dealing with mismatched carpet they can't change) is to select an area rug that covers a majority of the floor, leaving a small portion of the under rug visible. The colors in this rug should be ones you enjoy yet has a small hint of the carpet color within. You will be able to select furniture and fabrics to your tastes, instead of selecting elements that "match the carpet".

Twelvepoles was right... decorating rules can be broken! Select what you love to live with, it doesn't always have to be by the book - you may create your own style!

Old 01-08-02, 11:10 PM
kkm
Visiting Guest
Listen to Twelvepoles! I regret to say my answer was more of an easy and pat solution, and only a suggestion...one direction of many you could have traveled. It's an excellent point that you will probably keep the furniture through several redecoration phases. It's also a great idea to peruse magazines and find a color scheme you like. That's what is really important, what you like.
Sorry, but I still maintain it is a challenge to utilize the complementary colors of red and green in a pleasing manner in decorating a room. (I'm talking paint and fabrics here, not necessarily red toned woods like cherry) You really have to be careful WHICH reds and greens you choose. Complementary doesn't mean they necessarily always look good together, (as in complimentary) but they are EXACT opposite on the color wheel....they complete each other to make up the three primary colors of the wheel. This means red is a primary color (one cannot mix any two colors to get red) and green is a secondary color (you mix the primaries of blue and yellow). Red placed next to green is very jarring to the eye, artists use this to their advantage to give certain areas of their paintings "punch". Yellows and golds are tertiary colors to green, meaning they share one primary color in their makeup, (yellow) and they are found adjacent on the color wheel. It is just easier to blend tertiary colors like shades of gold and greens together in creating a color scheme which is restful and pleasing to the eye. It's more of a challenge to do that with the complementary ones like red and green. Not that it can't be done, of course, but it can be a frustrating experience....not having it look quite right to you, but not knowing exactly WHY, or what to do about it. That's why an easy monochomatic (one color) scheme in green is one of those fail-safe decorating techniques. (By the way, the two colors that particular technique works best in...are coral and green...lucky you!) In other words, you can be safe in choosing ANY color of green and it will work well within a green-only scheme. Same way for coral. Again, this is only ONE idea of many you could use....and as twelve poles so rightly indicated...it entirely depends on what YOU like. I think I just wanted to explain WHY I said what I did...that it wasn't some off the cuff idea without a sound basis in color theory.