Help a non creative person with stenciling...

Old 03-04-02, 09:28 AM
grateful
Visiting Guest
Help a non creative person with stenciling...

I tried stenciling in our kitchen. We don't like the color so we will be repainting anyway. It was harder than I thought! We painted in a semi gloss and the paint (reg. craft paint) I used seemed to run a bit. Also, when I was done with the first section I had to wait forever for it to dry so I could keep going. Is there a trick to that? I am not a patient person when it comes to waiting.... Is there a paint that would work better? I guess I am just looking for a couple tricks of the trade. HELP!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-02, 04:22 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you used a lot of paint. With stenciling, as with most painting of pictures, you need to blot off most of the paint in the brush or sponge. Yep, you need to waste a lot of paint. Then you build the paint in thin layers onto your design. You add more where you want it darker to create shading and depth. Or perhaps you layer with a different shade or color in certain areas for effect.

Also, don't brush the paint on, instead tap it on. To determine the amount of paint to remove from the brush or sponge, I was taught to count the number of times I tapped the brush or sponge to remove the paint on a clean paper. I tap across the page without overlapping the tapping. This way I can see the depth of color I like. Lets say I tap it 8 times and like what I see on tap numbers 5, 6 and 7 - with 8 not having enough paint and 1 though 4 too much. This tells me to dip my brush in the paint, tap it 4 times on a rag or waste paper to get the paint just right on the brush or sponge, then tap the paint onto the design for 3 taps - 5,6, and 7. Its easier demonstrated than described.