Working on the baby's room

Old 03-04-02, 08:57 PM
Rojop
Visiting Guest
Working on the baby's room

Hi. I'm planning to put wainscotting in our future baby room. There is existing baseboard and chairrail (sp?) 32 inches up. The plan is to get rid of the baseboard, and put in 32" wainscotting up to the chairrail. I really don't know if wainscotting is supposed to go higher than that, or if the chairrail should be removed. Does anyone have any good ideas in this department?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-02, 07:23 PM
hurstfam
Visiting Guest
WAINSCOATING sp?

How do you spell waincoating anyway? I have put this up before at 2 different homes. I put it up 36 inches from the floor. You say the chair rail molding is at 32. With my past experience, you have to place the wainscoating up first with the chair rail sitting on the top, because the trim (chair rail) sits over the edge of the siding. Does this make sense? Why do you not want the baseboard? I think a baseboard or shoe mold gives a finished look. Plus with not having a baseboard, you get a lot of dirt, and debris below the bottom edge. Anyway have fun with it.

Old 03-05-02, 08:57 PM
dynagirl
Visiting Guest
I'd opt for keeping the bsaeboard moulding too! But, hey, it's your house

Anyway, you can do wainscotting to any height you want. But, if you're going to be using the sheet (paneling) type, I'd pick my height by the size it comes in, otherwise you'll have to rip cut all of it. If you're planning to use tongue and groove boards, cuts will be easy, so height is purely up to your aesthetic prefence.

The chair rail moulding usually used above wainscotting has a lip that overlaps the waisncot. So, if you follow that norm, you'll want to remove the chair rail and install another type. But, if the bottom edge of the existing chair rail is flat, you can leave it in place and use it in the new plan.

Old 03-07-02, 05:30 PM
Rojop
Visiting Guest
Thanks for that

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I'll remove the existing chairrail and baseboard, then install wainscotting. I'll install a new chairrail with the lip thing you were telling me about, then probably reinstall the existing baseboard over top of the wainscotting.

I

Old 03-07-02, 06:22 PM
hurstfam
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Re: That Baby's Room

I'm glad we all came up with how to do this. This is what I like about DIY.com. Everybody adds a little experience that makes the finished idea come true.