Mounting postcards directly to a wall...

Old 03-05-02, 12:49 PM
jatkins679
Visiting Guest
Mounting postcards directly to a wall...

Howdy all...

I'm going to repaint my mother-in-law apartment. I saw something very cool (I think is very cool, anyway) at the "Bottom of the Hill" nightclub in Potero Hill in San Francisco that I'd like to replicate in my apt.

At BOTH, they have postcards mounted directly to the club's walls in a band about three, four feet above the floor all around the billards room. Just plain old but interesting postcards attached to the wall one after another. They appear to be glued to the wall, but with some kind of polyurethane over them.

Anyway, has anyone ever done this in their own place? Any tips or tricks for this (especially regarding how to get them to stick well enough to stay up but easily enough to take down when I want)?

I thought about mounting/gluing the postcards directly over a band of paint about 6" wide that runs along my walls. Any suggestions as to what kind of paint to use (flat, statin, etc.) or will it make no difference? How about what to cover the cards with, like polyurethane of some sort?

Thanks,

John

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-02, 02:27 AM
dynagirl
Visiting Guest
I like your idea of placing them on a band of paint. I think I'd go for satin paint for the band. I would think wallpaper paste might be a good choice for mouting the postcards and then a clear, water-based glazing overtop of them would probably give you the look you want.

Alternatively, a cheap and easy method of mounting the postcards directly to the wall would be FunTac. It's this rubbery stuff that you rip off into small pieces and stick on the back of posters to hang on the wall. It comes off pretty easily, but can leave like mark (like a grease stain).