painting the ceiling

Old 03-29-02, 02:43 AM
maf-1
Visiting Guest
painting the ceiling

Hi. My living is basically a small box. It is only 13.7' by 13.9' & the ceiling is only 7 3/4' high. My ceiling now is white & my walls are a creamy light peach. I would like to make my walls a sage green or a similar color. I would like to paint my ceiling a lighter green but in the same color tone as the walls. I also would like to put up fancy white molding on the ceiling & paint all trim & floor molding white.
Would painting my ceiling make my room look smaller?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Diane

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-02, 07:24 AM
Berniece Knotts
Visiting Guest
Don't be afraid to use color in small rooms. Your plan is excellent! The molding will open up the room and give the small space some character. I've added moldings to several room and love it. If the room gets natural light don't be afraid to use a fairly dark sage green on the walls. Pale greens can sometimes look weak and puny! Hint: when painting the ceiling use a good quality ceiling paint.

What are your plans for the woodwork? If you're painting it, white woodwork will give the room a clean, crisp somewhat formal look. If you paint the woodwork the same shade of green as the ceiling it will give the room a relaxed art deco feel. We did this in my daughter's dining & living rooms, using 2 shades of dusty rose. (These are small rooms.) Her rooms had previously been white. The end result was wonderful!

You have great plans. I think you're going to love putting some color into your life!

Old 03-29-02, 08:27 AM
maf-1
Visiting Guest
painting a ceiling

Thank you Bernice. I do plan to paint all the trim white. I only have a large sliding glass door in my living room that leads out to my deck.It get's a western exposure so we get plenty of light.I do have two narrow stain glass windows on both sides of my sliding glass door.
I think I will take your advice & go for a darker sage green for the walls.
You have been a great help & I thank you!
Diane

Old 04-07-02, 07:09 PM
Marco Z
Visiting Guest
You should definitely paint the ceiling. Be sure to have the color be CONSIDERABLY lighter than the walls otherwise you will have a nice "little green cave". Painting the trim and moulding white seems very stark and it will make it stand out in an awkward way. The color of the moulding should provide a nice, smooth transition between the walls and ceiling. I think it would be nicer to have the trim be the same as the wall color, only a couple of shades darker. This will look very rich.
Furthermore don't forget to use eggshell (satin) finish paint on the walls and ceiling and a low gloss for the trim and moulding.