Hallway/ Breezeway

Old 04-06-02, 08:00 AM
Dibbles
Visiting Guest
Hallway/ Breezeway

I have a hallway/breezeway 20' long x 5' wide x 12' high. Door with window at both ends, door leading form garage, & door with window leading into house. Barnboard 3'7" from floor. Wanting to put up a boarder. Was wondering where to place it to make ceilings look lower. Thanks DG.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-02, 02:54 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not at the top. Traditionally, borders are put along the top, bottom, or chair rail height. Though I am no designer, I would opt for chair rail height (36") or maybe break the tradition and go for one at eye level.

Old 04-07-02, 07:39 AM
Berniece Knotts
Visiting Guest
A border at the top or even 12 inches from the top of the walls would probably just draw attention to the height. However, a border above the wood paneling might create a tunnel effect. I would make a border pattern out of newspaper or some inexpensive material, tack it up and see how it looks. If it doesn't solve your problem you've just saved a lot of money. Other options might be to put a wood trim above the paneling, or even a couple of rows of tile. I have found through experience that this would cost no more than a wide border and both are more durable.

Old 04-07-02, 03:21 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hallway ceiling height and wallpaper border

Many older homes with the 12 foot ceilings have molding on the wall about a foot down from the ceiling. This gives the illusion that that foot of wall is part of the ceiling. The border can be installed below the molding.

Hanging photos, paintings, collectibles at eye level will keep eyes busy and focused and make the height of the hall ceiling insignificant.