Help With Taking Down Walls

Old 04-10-02, 10:09 AM
DIANEANDCARMEN
Visiting Guest
Help With Taking Down Walls

I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON MY TOWNHOUSE SINCE JAN. PAINTED EVERYTHING MYSELF AND IT LOOKS BEAUTIFUL. BUT, THE WALL GOING UP THE STEPS REALLY CUTS THE ROOM .I HAVE A COMBO LIVING ROOM DINING ROOM AND THOUGHT IF I TOOK OUT THAT WALL IT WOULD REALLY OPEN UP THE SPACE. WHAT WOULD I NEED TO LOOK FOR BEFORE MAKING THE DECISION? I HAVE LIVED HERE FOR 13 YEARS. NO BLUEPRINTS. CALLED THE CITY AND THEY SAID THEY JUST STARTED STORING THE BLUEPRINTS BUT I COULD COME DOWN AND LOOK IN THE ARCHIVES.
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
DIANE

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-02, 08:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You would need to know if it was a load-bearing wall.
If it is, you can still open it up, but you would have to install a beam or header across the span.
Mike

Old 04-11-02, 10:03 AM
DIANEANDCARMEN
Visiting Guest
TAKING DOWN WALLS

THANKS FOR GETTING BACK TO ME ABOUT THE WALLS. I KNOW THAT THE WALL GOING UP THE ONE SIDE OF THE STAIRS IS NOT WAIT BEARING. I WILL LOOK INTO THE ONE UP THE OTHER AREA OF STEPS. I AM SURE THAT ONE IS.
I HAVE A CLOSET UNDERNEATH THE STEPS. I WAS WONDERING IF THAT AREA COULD ALL BE OPENED UP WITH THE REMOVAL OF THE WALL. I HAVE A LOT OF IDEAS, BUT MY HUSBAND IS NOT THE HANDY TYPE. I GREW UP WITH A DAD THAT DID EVERYTHING AND I HAVE PURCHASED A LOT OF BOOKS ON ALL OF THE SUBJECTS. DO YOU THINK WITH THE RIGHT INFO ANYONE CAN DO SOME OF THIS?
DIANE

Old 04-11-02, 10:39 AM
Cool

Yes.
There is a lot of info out there about how to do things, and if you take your time, you should be able to do most of it.
However, it gets a little trickier to start remodeling structural supporting framing, because the load has to be transferrred properly, or you could create a hazardous situation, especially around stairs.
You might want to find a good carpenter or handyman to show you what needs to be done, then do what you can do, and let them do what you can't.
Sometimes your local Building Inspection Department inspectors will tell you or draw out for you what will meet local codes, which can vary.
Things structural or mechanical (electrical, plumbing, etc.) usually require a permit and inspection from them anyway.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 04-11-02, 12:18 PM
DIANEANDCARMEN
Visiting Guest
Dear Mike,
Thanks for the reply. I will take everything into account befor jumping into this.
Do you think having the original plans for the house would help me to see? I keep wondering about the space under the stairs and, well I don't know. sorry to ramble on. It's taking so long to finally get to this house project, that I am excited to try and really make it look great.

Diane

Old 04-11-02, 01:19 PM
Cool

The original house plans should help you a great deal, if you can find them.
Good Luck!
Mike