painting kitchen counter tops

Old 04-15-02, 07:49 AM
georgenna
Visiting Guest
painting kitchen counter tops

I've been told that you can paint your kitchen counter tops but have found no information on it, does anyone have any ideas? I was told you could paint to look marble like.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-02, 06:09 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting kitchen countertops

Although it is not recommended that kitchen countertops be painted because of long-term durability issues, many forum posters have reported painting counters. Countertops require a hard, durable, nonporous surface that can be disinfected and cleaned with household cleaning products and hold up to abuse and use. Painted surfaces are porous and tend not to hold up well to cleaning products and the scooting of pots and pans and dishes across the counters. There are paint products and coatings for just about every surface. Stop by your local paint store or home center to see what products are available.

Old 04-29-02, 08:37 PM
GwyniChaela
Visiting Guest
I recently spoke with my mother who paints everything. She suggested Hammerite, which can be used to paint just about anything. She painted all of her appliances, yes even her oven with it. It is built for that very purpose.
She was not sure what you would use for a marble look, but if you do decide to paint, make sure you use a good primer and a good sealer so that you can clean it!!

Old 04-30-02, 07:35 AM
tradingspaces
Visiting Guest
Cool

Painting countertops in a nutshell:

(1) Prime (use Kilz or BIN)
(2) Paint (whatever color and/or design you choice)
(3) And most importantly...polyurathene - non yellowing unless you want that effect (4-5 coats)

Hope this helps!

Old 04-30-02, 08:42 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting countertops

The Formica Corporation recommends sanding the surface to give "tooth," cleaning, and using epoxy paint.