How do I neutralize a PINK bathtub?

Old 05-24-02, 11:47 AM
jaka
Visiting Guest
Unhappy How do I neutralize a PINK bathtub?

Our new house has a master bath, which is nice--but the bath fixtures (tub and sink) are both a very cool pink. To compound the problem, the vinyl--which I'd rather not replace at this time--is white with black diamonds. Other than 1950s kitsch, how on earth can I decorate around these fixtures? I'd love to have the pink recede, or at least warm it up a little...Currently there's burgundy wallpaper that extends even into the upper part of the shower area. What WAS this woman thinking? The master bedroom is cream with burgundy drapes and taupe carpet, and the quilt and stuff we brought with us seems to pull that all together nicely (and my husband loves the drapes, so...)

But this bathroom. Augh. What can I do so that the pink calls a little less attention to itself?

Janna

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-02, 03:24 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Minimizing the impact of pink bathroom fixtures

The burgundy is highlighting the pink. Change the wallpaper. Perhaps there is a dark, rich color in the new bedspread that you like. Find a wallpaper that is predominately this bold color and that has a tiny fleck of pink or burgundy in it. For instance, perhaps there is a bit of dark green in the new bedspread that could be the dominate color on the bath walls. Perhaps even a black wallpaper with a little pink or burgundy would make black dominate the room. Believe it or not, all those retro colors are hot again.

Old 05-24-02, 03:28 PM
dwaters
Visiting Guest
There is a product that I've used (available at Home Depot and Lowes) that is, for lack of a better term, "paint" for bathtubs, sinks, etc. It works beautifully and is very reasonably priced. Good luck!

Old 05-24-02, 03:56 PM
jaka
Visiting Guest
I realize the burgundy is making this worse, but what I don't know is what colors will make it better. I know enough about color theory to know there IS color theory...lol...and that's about it. Anyone got a color wheel and understand how it works?

Retro 50s isn't my style at all, regardless of current popularity. I won't be using wallpaper, either, as I think it's a really bad idea for a wet place like a bathroom. I'd be willing to do some technical painting if it would help...maybe a three-tone antique plaster faux finish. But what colors could I use that wouldn't make the cool pink pop, and would still blend in with the burgundy in the master bedroom?

I should have taken more art theory in college.

Old 05-24-02, 03:59 PM
jaka
Visiting Guest
Oh...in regards to refinishing...We've both done that ourselves and had it professionally done (in our old house) and weren't really happy with the results either time. The DITY stuff didn't last at *all*, and the professional job chipped easily and was somewhat uneven. I keep hearing good about it, so maybe we were just unlucky twice, but I hate to take the chance again.

Old 05-24-02, 05:04 PM
T
Refinishing tubs/showers

My research reveals that refinishing of fixtures is not a long-term durability option. There are, however, many companies who claim otherwise.

Old 05-25-02, 04:47 PM
dg76
Visiting Guest
I'm not sure if all the color theory in the world can help a pink tub and sink. If you paint any cool hue (blue, green, purple...), then the pink will jump out at you. If you paint a dark color, then the pink will jump out at you. The only option that I can really think of is to stray pretty monochromatic. Without knowing exactly how light or dark the pink is, I don't know if this is an option.

Hopefully your fixtures are a lighter pink. If so, you might try painting a really light, almost beige colored pink on the walls. The fixtures will blend into the walls and hopefully make everything appear less pink than they really are. To help avoid an ultra-feminine room, you could add some black accents throughout the space. Keep in mind that the extra black will pull your attention to the black and white floor...which may or may not be a good thing...

Old 05-25-02, 05:32 PM
T
Neutralizing pink bathtub

An excellent idea! It will just blend in and kind of disappear.

Old 05-25-02, 05:53 PM
jaka
Visiting Guest
Hey, that might work!

I could use a shade of pink that was almost white and just slightly warmer than the pink fixtures...The shower surround is fake marble Corian, a medium white (not cool, not warm, more like very light taupe) with a pink vein and some darker taupe veining, so I could conceivably use deep rich taupe for accent, and a *little* cranberry or burgundy to tie it to the rest of the master suite...

Now, if I can just make my other bathtub/sink/toilet disappear...Remember Harvest Gold? <g> I actually think I have that one licked, or as good as it's gonna get. This is a very cool, green-cast variation of Harvest Gold, so hard to work with, but we're tiling in a warm white with some "chamois" accent tiles and a few (expensive!) accent tiles that have a stylized floret of peach, light mustard, and coral. The "chamois" tile is almost pink next to the Harvest Gold, but the decorative tiles kind of pull everything together.

Thanks for the help. Someone else suggested selling the tub and sink on eBay...lol...I guess pink is back in a big way in some places! This woman said she personally wanted the new pink fridge but at $6000 it was a little out of her reach!

Yikes...