building a bathtub from scratch

Old 07-30-02, 04:21 AM
tlangeman
Visiting Guest

I am tired of the shrunken down tubs of today. I saw a television home improvement show where they built one from scratch using ceramic tile.
Can this be done and where can I get information on how-to?

Thanks.

Old 07-30-02, 06:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

tlangeman,

Shrunken down tubs, huh? There are a variety of tubs available that are wider than the standard 30" x 60", 42" is obtainable through special order. Again, if this is not enough room, whirlpools would be the next best choice for the money and time involved plus it would feel great to use!

I'm not sure what show you were watching but this is not a DIY project by no means. I wouldn't attempt it even with years of home improvement experience, general contracting and residential building design. The process that I will explain may or may not had been described on that TV show but here it is.

I have designed elegant baths for clients and of those, only one has had a customized bathtub. The Swimming Pool Contractor was called in to perform the services. The process is lengthy and expensive. Virtually, the wood frame is made and 3/4" plywood applied. The rubber liner was installed with a modified Shower base drain to accommodate the new drain stopper assembly. The tiles selected were 2x2 on the bottom, 1x1 on the sides. A mortar mix, reinforced was installed, all hand formed to meet the customers design and molded to be comfortable. It took 3 coats of this before any tiles were applied.

Once the tiling and grout was installed and set up for 1 week, the application of an epoxy sealer was installed. This was to insure not only a water tight seal but to also provide ease in cleaning. Then it was buffed and polished. So far, after 6 years, no problems to report.

Let us know what you are doing.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: