adding a shower

Old 08-03-02, 10:00 AM
cheech
Visiting Guest
Question adding a shower

I want to add a shower to my bathroom. The only thing is, at the back of the tub there is a window. The bottom of the window is flush with the back of the tub...there is about 10 in. space between the back of the tub and the window where someone filled it in with paneling, to enclose that space. I would like to know if anyone had any ideas of what i can do? I cant build a wall at the back because that will block the window...any good ideas will help.

Old 08-03-02, 01:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

A clear plastic shower curtain liner would work.
Mike

Old 08-03-02, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
adding a shower

cheech,

The OldGuy recommends an excellent idea depending on your budget and the idea definitely fits anyone's budget!

So, depending on your budget and overall appearance, if this a permanent remodel which would enhance the home in value, consider this;

Since you're adding a shower, you probably have been considering new tub/shower wall coverings, i.e. Fiberglass walls or Ceramic Tile.

In either case, removal of the window and the installation of Glass Block may best suit your overall look as well as maintenance (clean up). Depending on the exterior siding material this conversion may be simple and provide you with with a very finished look.

Just thought this would be an alternative depending on your budget.

Old 08-04-02, 08:15 AM
cheech
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thank you fellas for the ideas! I have considered the shower curtain already. That would be the easiest way! The window is a replacement window, if i were to remove the trim around the window and seal everything really good with silicone the put he trim back on and seal around it, would that last? Paint it with some good primer like "Killz" and water proof paint, Think that would work? I would love to have the window blocks but im afraid i'd screw them up!

Old 08-04-02, 08:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

If you seal, prime and paint the inside of the window like you would the outside, it might be o.k. with the moisture and steam from a shower, if you keep it that way.
I still wouldn't allow direct water spray to hit it (liner).
I like Doug's idea with the glass blocks, if you want to keep a window in a shower, though. Less maintenance and a more permanent solution.
Good luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: