Shower Pan

Old 08-05-02, 07:30 PM
jvf
Visiting Guest
Shower Pan

Hello everyone,
This is my first post, but not my first visit to this site.
So much great info here.

I have a shower with a tiled floor. The grout was cracked in several places. So, I thought I was going to just regrout the tile, but it popped up when removing the grout. I noticed there was water below the tiles and started ripping things up.
I didn't understand then that it could be normal to have water in a shower pan below the tiles, so I removed everything down to a metal shower pan. The bathroom had been remodeled by a previous homeowner 4 to 5 years ago. The bathroom looks great otherwise.

My question is this. I don't believe I have a leaky shower pan. So, should I simply re-mud and tile over the existing shower pan? Or, should I rip it all out and install a new membrane style shower pan? The latter sounds like a ton more work. I've also heard about a newer drain, Schluter-Kerdi drain. Is it acceptable to leave the metal drain system and install this Schluter-Kerdi drain over the top instead of ripping everything out?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
jvf

Old 08-05-02, 09:25 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
shower pan

jvf,

My experience with metal shower pans has been to remove it. Normally you have a curb, 3 walls and you didn't mention what is on the walls but no matter.

I would remove the pan because the Schluter-Kerdi drain is a complete unit as a similar product put out by Oatey (Shower Base Drain). The Schluter-Kerdi drain however has a larger flange but it is not mandatory to have such a large flange. What is important is the rubber pan liner. I would install this even though it is more work to remove your existing mortar base within the metal pan but if you don't know how the pan is at the drain, all the work you are doing is in vain. Naturally you would have to install the Schluter-Kerdi drain or similar product but it would guarantee a sound drain system with no worry about leaks. I have attached 2 sites which may give more info and directions than we can write here.

http://www.johnbridge.com/shower_pan_replacement.htm

http://www.askbuild.com/cgi-bin/column?253

Good Luck!

Old 08-06-02, 07:13 AM
jvf
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice. I found the great link of www.johnbridge.com that has a great step by step procedure with pictures. I'm going to give it a try. I'll let you know how it goes!

http://web.archive.org/web/200108022...ers/index.html

Thanks Doug

Also, does anyone know how to get the Schluter-Kerdi system in the Philadelphia, PA area. Their website does not show any distributors in my area, but I find that hard to believe.
I did check Home Depot with no luck.

Thanks
jvf

Old 08-06-02, 07:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shower Pan

jvf,

Just to let you know, the product is available through Home Depot - they are a authorized retailer for Schluter-Kerdi - Ask to talk to the Floor/Wall Manager at Home Depot. Home Depot does not stock the item but it can be ordered.

Within the Philadelphia,PA area here are distributors for the product - you will have to call them and find out who can sells it to you locally;

Dal Tile - 215-546-8453 or 215-633-6420
Garden State Tile - 215-443-5478
Renisance Tile - 215-674-4848

Manufacturers Number;
Schluter-Kerdi system - 800-472-4588 Ask for Ann-Sales Rep for PA

I'm glad that my site suggestions helped you out.

Hope this lets you get the product close to home!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: