First of Many bath remodel questions

Old 08-09-02, 11:47 AM
Brazen C5
Visiting Guest
Question First of Many bath remodel questions

Ok, so I am currently undertaking a major bathroom remodel -plumbing, [both supply and drainage] relocation, electrical [replacing knob and tube with romex cable] removal of partial subfloor, hardibacker [under tile], greenboard, ventilation, lighting, windows, vanity, etc, etc. with little (actually no) experience, but have a few DIY's (with remodel experience) to come by occasionally and counsel.

Its a real dump (fixer upper) so anything I do can only improve the home and my roommate and I are both single, dont mind the chaos, and I love home improvement!!

Anyways, we're installing a steel tub in place of a shower and I keep reading about a mortar base.

1. Do I need one for a steel tub

2. How thick does the mortar base need to be and do you just spread it on top of the 1st layer flooring without any type of framing on the floor to keep the mortar where you want it to set?

thanks in advance! chris

Old 08-09-02, 03:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First of Many bath remodel questions

Brazen C5,

Mortar or joint compound is used only on fiberglass or acrylic type units tubs/whirlpools and shower bases - usually recommended by manufacturers but not required.
Reason is that they do not have a solid base structure and plumbing fittings can cause fractures at the drain assembly locations. Any movement could cause damage and leaks.

Steel tubs however only require the 1x or 2x ledger on the walls and the unit rests directly on the subfloor. No need for mortar. Just make sure the tub installation is level.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-09-02, 04:25 PM
Brazen C5
Visiting Guest
Thanks Doug! I cant wait to see the result!

chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: