Installing a pedestal sink

Old 09-08-02, 01:01 PM
mcorner
Visiting Guest

I also posted this question in Repair->plumbing, but maybe this is a better place to ask.

My gf bought a pedestal sink for me to install. I consider myself handy, but I don't know much about plumbing...

We managed to remove the cabinet sink and retile the floor where the cabinet was. We respackled and sanded so everything is great except for installing the sink.

She picked up the sink at a recycling center for not a lot of money($65 with fixtures), but I can't figure out how to get it installed.

Two problems:

1) It came with a P-trap but the outlet of the trap is only 3" (horizontally) from the wall. It is also a few inches higher than the waste pipe. The way that the pedestal is made, I can't drop the sink's pipe down and then come back up. The recessed part of the pedestal only goes down a little ways, then the pedestal is solid.

It is too close to the wall to add an 'S' curve. I tried a flexible (accordian type) drain pipe, but there just isn't enough room.

The only thing I can think of is to open up the wall and move the waste pipe up. It is a 70's condo so the waste pipe is metal, not PVC. Is this extremely hard? Is there another way? I have lots of time and pateince...

2) The pedestal has a hole to screw into the floor, but I don't see how to attach the sink to the wall. It may have had a bracket orginially, but there isn't one now There is a hole in the back of the sink on the part that should be against the wall. The hole is about the diameter of a coke can. What is the hole for? mounting?

-Lost....

Old 09-08-02, 07:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

mcorner,

Unfortunately, what you describe I have encountered. I have attached a link. Please note that since you live in a condo that you may have to advise your association or on site maintenance
man to ensure that if you do the change over to the pedistal as the link displays, that you will want to make sure that noone uses the plumbing above your unit (if applicable)

This would be the best method for you, sorry, no easy answers here.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/200006/pedsink/

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: