change door to swing out

Old 10-15-02, 08:15 AM
JaneJanet
Visiting Guest
change door to swing out

Our bathroom is VERY small and right now the door swings in. ( Older home) One side is painted and the other a nice wood, that we would like to have still show. The only way I see to do it is to turn it upside down and flip it to swing out to the left. What do I have to do to the other side to fit in the hinges and the door close properly? Any other ideas?? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-15-02, 09:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
change door to swing out

JaneJanet,

I am not sure why you want the door to swing out unless you are wanting the natural wood look to show (I assume it is showing within the hall not inside the bathroom). You'll want to seal this good if it is to within the bathroom.

It's highly unusal to have the bath door swinging out into a hallway. You'll just have to keep the bathroom door closed so noone runs into it. It may not be the best solution.

Flipping the door may not be possible unless you're ok with the handle at 44 1/2" center from the bottom of door, it should be at about 35 3/4" center now. Making the door with the approriate handle height will require some work but will definitely take way the clean look that you now have on the natural wood side.

Second problem is the hinges, you may find that they are not equal, top and bottom of door to hinge. Usually they may be different by up to 1 inch in location. This would require mortising out for new hinge locations, again some work but it can be done.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-15-02, 06:38 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I understand perfectly why you want to change the swing of the door. I used to have one of those postage stamp master baths in this house. Like Doug pointed out, you will run into problems if you try to turn the door upside down. Removing and reversing the jamb will put the wood surface on the wrong side. I would suggest getting a pre-hung birch door and installing it so that it is outswing. Stain and seal the wood side you want to see, and paint the other side.

Old 10-15-02, 08:07 PM
JaneJanet
Visiting Guest
You are right Lefty! Thanks for both answers!! How do you think a bi fold door would look if we stained it? Too tacky? Keep in mind we are on a very tight budget!! Thanks again!!

Old 10-16-02, 09:10 AM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking Plan B

Bi-fold door does its job to cover you doing your personal business in the bathroom. That's about it.
If you want the real door and utilize the space behind it, think about the sliding door.
It involves more work, but the results will be satisfactory.

You'll need to remove a section of the wall, cut some studs, reframe, install roller track.......etc.
It's not that difficult to do and it is truely better than bi-folds.

If you wanna go about this option, reply so and we'll help you more.

Old 10-16-02, 09:02 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Price things out. The bi-fold door or the prehung door will cost about the same -- say $50 to $75. The pocket door that masterjoe mentioned will cost more, and will require reframing the wall to get it in. Think you will find all of that would set you back several hundred dollars. Wouldn't be possible if there is plumbing in the wall where the pocket needs to be.

The biggest draw back to the bi-fold door idea is the amount of the door width you will lose. My "postage stamp" master bath had a 24" wide door. Could afford to lose 4" or so of that to a bifold door.

Old 10-17-02, 06:45 PM
JaneJanet
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the tips!!! Didn't think about the privacy issue of a bifold door!! Will try and find a 29 / 79 door somewhere!! This is an awesome site, I have had so much help!! Thanks again!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: