Window in shower area -- what to do with sill?

Old 10-29-02, 06:25 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Window in shower area -- what to do with sill?

I'm not entirely sure how the old (1949) aluminum window has held up in the shower for all these years, but I'd like to replace it, probably with vented glass block.

Now here's my question. The wood windowsill extends about 1.5 inches past the wall and 3 inches from each side of the window. When the bath was re-tiled (probably 10 years ago), they cut the tile and fit it around the sill.

The sill is quite useful for shampoo bottles, etc, but it looks like keeping this thing waterproofed is an uphill fight. There's probably a few dozen coats of paint on it.

My questions are:

1) Can I keep the sill from rotting out by frequent cleaning, painting, and caulking?

2) If I start removing tile to get the sill out, should I expect to end up re-tiling the entire shower?

Old 10-29-02, 06:39 AM
mrchris,

These have always been an issue of conitunual maintenance with no end in sight. I assume that you have a curtain of some type over this during showers/baths. Options area;

Possibly change window to a vinyl with a marble sill - costs would be low.

Replace window with a glass block and run existing tile up to it www.allprohomeservices.net (see tips and ideas) you could always add cearmic shelves for your incidentals. Moderate costs involved.

If the ceramic tile is not in the best of shape and replacement is too much, even if you do it yourself, you could save money and install a fiberglass enclosure that would allow for the window to remain and install window accessories for water protection. See this link:

http://www.elmustee.com/bathwall/300600.html

Any removal of tile may mean total replacement and to realize that tiles may not match your existing. Removal and replacement may be your choice and if so, I would consider a glass block window replacement.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-29-02, 08:19 AM
M
Doug,

Appreciate your prompt reply here. I hate to admit it, but there is no curtian or anything over the sill right now. It's in relatively good shape, believe it or not, but does have some mildew on it. No chunks of wood are presently missing.

Since the sill goes so far outside of the window area, there would be a noteworthy amount of tile removal to get it out. The tile is in good shape and covers not only the shower, but all the way around the bathroom, 5' up. I'm not sure I can stomach the ramifications of not finding a match if I start replacing tile. I'm not presently interested in a "Well, I started with a the window, and ended up remodeling the entire bathroom," situation.

The link to the elmustee site was very helpful. I've already got tile on the inside of the widow area, it's just the sill that needs help.

If I could get my hands on just the sill plate cover from that kit, I could cut it to fit directly over the existing sill, and caulk the ____ out of it. Would still require a lot of periodic checking up, but would eliminate the need for annual painting.

Or maybe I can just keep painting the darn thing.

Old 10-29-02, 05:55 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, You could remove the wood and then cover the sill and the 2 walls that adjoin window and sill with stainless steel. The steel would have a 90 deg break one edge the size of the sill and the other to go over the tile and cover any damage from the sill. I have had these made in 3 pieces installed with mastic and caulked. It worked and looked good.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 11-01-02, 07:05 AM
B
Smile Bath Window

This is great! I just found this forum and I found something I'm trying to do first off.

I also have a window in the shower. It is a aluminum window and we have a shower curtain over the window to keep water and rot out.

I just purchased a glass block window to install and I want to put a vinyl enclosure around the tub. Of course the window opening is wood, my question is should I put something in the wood frame before installing the window? I don't want to use the shower curtain once I get the window installed and I'm concerned about water getting to the wood around the new window. I'm also trying to figure out how to meet the vinyl enclosure with the window.

Thanks

Old 11-01-02, 07:15 AM
bolar.

Did you get a chance to look at the links that I placed above concerning what you are wanting to do as well. This may help you out in making a choice as to what you want to do.

Let me know, I'm on-line.

Old 11-01-02, 08:47 AM
B
Smile Windows

Yes that link helped. At least now I know that there is something out there to support my idea. Though the panels just butt up against the window, I suppose that's what silicone is for.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: