installation of a Bertch medicine cabinet

Old 11-03-02, 07:05 PM
woodnut4evr
Visiting Guest
installation of a Bertch medicine cabinet

I just purchased a Bertch medicine cabinet at Lowes. The cabinet come without any installation instructions. Does anyone have experiece with this cabinet? The Bertch website is down right now and Lowes is closed. Just thought I would look for some guidance on this website. The wall where the cabinet will hang is studed with 2by3s. Will this present a problem with anchor strenght as the mirror is about 50 lbs. Does the mirror have an accessory installation kit of some kind?

Old 11-05-02, 10:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
woodnut4evr,

Not sure about this mirror thing, but installation the cabinet should be simple. Locate your studs, once you know where your cabinet is being placed. Pre-drill holes through the 1x frame part on the rear of the cabinet and screw to wall. There...done!

Are we talking about a home or mobile home? Regardless, the 2x3's are strong enough. 50#'s is really nothing to worry about as long as you are attaching this securely to a stud.

Good luck!

Old 11-06-02, 09:11 PM
woodnut4evr
Visiting Guest
Doug, I need to make a correction on my 1st statement. The wall are studed with 1 by 3s. I was a little concerned about their holding power. I know it seems like a simple install but the only access thru the cabinet to the stud is to drill thru the gorgeous veneer inside the cabinet - hard to hide the screws. Just seems like a damn shame - for an expensive cabinet. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-06-02, 09:19 PM
woodnut4evr,

Sorry, but that is the standard procedure to attach cabinets to a wall, regardless of kitchen or bath cabinets.

The 1x3 that you mentioned, is this furring strips over an existing wall, what are we talking about?

I'm up

Old 11-06-02, 09:25 PM
woodnut4evr
Visiting Guest
Doug, my house is about 35 yrs. old. The 1 by 3s were used on the exterior and party wall(its an adjoined home) - between the brick and drywall - don't ask I don't why - but thats what I'm stuck with. I was thinking of screwing into the 1by3s and then securing further with two toggle bolts.

Old 11-06-02, 09:38 PM
woodnut4evr,

OK, I got the picture now.

So lets try this, since you don't really know the condition of the brick veneer of the existing behind the 1x3's I suggest that you purchase concrete screws. These are used when you really need holding power and are easy to put in. Go to Home depot, the screws are blue in color. As I had mentioned before, you will drill a hole into the wood frame inside the cabinet, this will be just large enough to let the screw shank to go through. You may want to use flat washers for extra holding power. The concrete screws will have to be pre-drilled into the brick so the screws will have to be longer, like 3 1/2" - again we want ot make sure that they have secured properly into the brick. The head of these screws are usually a hex head so you can really get them tight.

The predrilling through the cabinet will help you get the cabinet in the right position. With an extra hand, plumb your cabinet against the wall, the help can use a nail or scribe to mark the holes, then take the cabinet down, drill your holes and then get the helper to hold this up and install your screws with washers.

Hows that, you're then in business with no worry!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: