plaster and sheetrock together?

Old 11-14-02, 06:49 AM
confessori
Visiting Guest
plaster and sheetrock together?

Our house was built in 1913 and all of the walls are plaster with a "texture" to them. There are large areas that we need to replace with sheetrock, but this poses the problem of a smooth finish next to a sand-like finish. My question is this: What is the quickest/easiest way to match these? I don't care if it's smooth or rough, I just want it to match. And I would prefer not to spray some kind of texture on to the new sheetrock. Any ideas?

Old 11-14-02, 05:14 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Matching the finish on the surface of either wallboard or plaster is a matter of using the same finish. If the texture is like sand, it is likely a sand paint. This can be pruchased from a paint store. It is usually applied with a roller. Now getting them to match will depend a lot upon whether or not they match in grain size. It will be easier to match the sand pattern than to sand off the existing sand finish.

Old 11-15-02, 04:10 AM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
That texture could very well be a paint that leaves a sand like finish. It could also be any one of a number of plaster finishes that were used in the time period that your home was built in, or used in the years since. Matching it is really the only way to go. To find out exactly what it is you're trying to match, to get the materials needed, and to get sound how-to advice, your best bet it to cut a section (about 6"x6") of that textured plaster out and bring it to a paint supply. They'll look at it and tell you if it's a textured plaster or a paint finish, then steer you towards the right materials, and give you sound how-to advice.

I personally feel that you have a textured plaster finish. During that time period and 1915s construction era plasterers would sometimes trowel on the final coat of plaster and just before it dried they would use a bellows to atomize a fine coating of dry plaster on. Texturing was very popular then.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: