tile over tile

Old 11-18-02, 05:38 AM
nishy
Visiting Guest
tile over tile

I have 12inch tiles on the walls over my bathtub. I was originally going to take them all off, but I read somwhere that you can actually tile over tile. I am going to use 12x12 mosiac sheets. Ant advice out there as to the best wat to do this, what type of adhesive to use etc:?

Old 11-18-02, 07:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
nishy,

It would best be installed by first "scuffing" the existing tile first. This would provide for a good bond when using THINSET. (Home Depot has all of this stuff) Unless you want it to fall off, it would enhance the bonding to the glossy existing tile. If you are retiling over glossy, non-porous tile, you have to "scuff" the old tile or "scarify" it. This can be done with heavy grit sandpaper and try to remove some of the existing grout with a nail. The rougher this surface is the better the bond.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-18-02, 08:07 PM
nishy
Visiting Guest
tile over tile

thanks for the input. The tile that is on there is porclein not a shiny surface. Would you still say it needs scuffing, and why remove some of the exsisting grout?

Old 11-18-02, 08:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
nishy,

The porcelain should be ok but remember that it is harder than ceramic, less porous. You want to provide better substrate for adhesion.

The "partial" grout removal idea was to ensure that any soap scum would be removed. Just added adhesion qulaity but you don't have to do this.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-19-02, 10:29 AM
nishy
Visiting Guest
tile over tile

I was just thinking about tiling over tile and was wondering if I do that will I have a problem with putting back the shower control and bath downspout because now the wall would be a lot thicker. Is there any play in the control and downspout and will I have a problem fixing them back in place? :

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: