ceramic tile soap dish

Old 11-24-02, 06:22 PM
jandale511
Visiting Guest
ceramic tile soap dish

I read the thread on replacing an existing ceramic tile soap dish but how about installing one for the first time. We are putting new ceramic tile in the shower and we have put up the drywall, barrier and the cement board but everything says that thin set won't work for soap dishes, towel bars, corner shelves etc so is there a secret to putting these up while you are doing the rest of the tiling? Do you use the same stuff? Do you need to tape it while you are doing the rest?? I am so confused and there is nothing in anything I have read that addresses this sort of thing.
Thank you so much!

Jan

Old 11-24-02, 07:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Jan,

What you read before is correct, in every detail. What you use to set your tiles can be used on the holder but use liquid nails, it holds much better! Don't forget the tape and let it set for 24 hours.

Good Luck!

Old 11-24-02, 10:30 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I've always used the thinset mortar with great success. Do not use the premixed mastic to hang fixtures.

As to your second question...
When you put up your wall tile, leave untiled space on the cement board for your fixtures. I normally wait at least 24 hours after the tile is in place before I hang the fixtures. Butter the back of the fixtue with your thinset (or the proper Liquid Nails is fine), and press them firmly into place. Wipe off any thinset that comes out from around the fixture, and then tape the fixture (can't use too much tape) to the tile. Let it sit like that for another 24 before you remove the tape.

Caulk around the fixture after your grouting is done.

Old 11-25-02, 06:38 AM
jandale511
Visiting Guest
Thank you both for your information on installing the soap dish, towel, shelf in the new ceramic tile tub surround. I really appreciate the information!

Jan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: