Installing Marble Flooring

Old 12-30-02, 12:54 PM
Jeff24404@aol
Visiting Guest
Installing Marble Flooring

Dear Sir,
We currently have 10 year old vinyl flooring in our master bath. We have installed ceramic tile in our kitchen and dining room along with our basement floor. So we have a good understanding of how to install ceramic tile. My wife would like to install marble tile in the bathroom. Would you suggest removing the vinyl floor? What are the differences in installing marble Vs tile? Do you use different thin set and grout? I have observed the grout joint is smaller in marble than ceramic tile. Can we use the same wet saw? I know this is alot of questions. However I hope you can advise us.
Thanks.

Old 12-30-02, 02:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Jeff24404@aol,

What's this Dear Sir stuff?!!! - we're family around here!

It's advised not to install tile directly over vinyl. My suggestion is to purchase 1/2" cement backerboard, Glue and Screw this down, you need to have a solid surface. Try to remove the vinyl, at least the top have, it may tear but if the padded top can be removed this will help in the rest of the preparation . You may end up leaving the paper backer but this is the better option before doing the backerboard. You do realize that this is going to increase height when the tile is on as well - what happens at doorways - casings and/or doors?

I have attached some links that may help with most questions;

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~naturalsur...le-laying.html

http://www.tileshopsuperstore.com/installation/

You should post these question also over in the Repair Forum under Ceramic Tile...they have pretty knowledgeable folks there to address all your questions, just more feedback to help you.

Hope this helps and Happy New Year!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: