Relocating Shower Drain

Old 12-30-02, 05:34 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Relocating Shower Drain

I had an old built-in shower which I am replacing with a new plastic kit. However, the drain needs to be relocated. The drain is in the house's slab (no basement). Can I do it without ripping into the concrete slab? I don't mind if I have to build up the shower base a few inches above ground level.

thanks again

Old 12-30-02, 06:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mel P.,

What you ask is not code approved unless you can connect properly to the existing drain system since it will be pvc pipe to cast iron pipe. The issue of an older home, with cast iron pipes makes it hard to try and tie your new drain into it.

It would be better to break out the concrete, install your new drain lines where needed. The old cast pipe can be cut with a sawzall with a Tungsten Carbide blade. Then using a flexible coupling - neoprene with the 2 stainless steel clamps connect this to the new pvc pipe from the shower drain P-trap assembly with pipe extension to your cast iron pipe.

It is not recommended to have the shower just drain into the existing shower drain. It should all be a "closed" connection. In addition, properly support the shower stall base, no movement should be between the shower drain seal and drain pipe.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-30-02, 11:05 PM
Danman
Visiting Guest
I'm doing a bathroom remodel right now too. The shower was leaking bad. The drain was cast iron and could not be reused as it was rusted so bad. I had to use a rented heavy duty hammer drill and remove the concrete around the drain and did like Doug had mentioned. It was realy a pretty simple deal. The hardest part was digging out the old trap as there was not much room. I just used a garden spade. Once I got things were they needed to be I just packed the dirt back in around the trap to the level or the slab and used a brush on bonding agent from quickrete around the edge of the hole and most of an 80 pound bag of quickrete to fill the hole. Once I got the hole half filled in with cement I layed down some of the same rebar that I had to cut out as a precaution and finished filling the hole. Just make sure to get your drain plumb and level before you put down the cement. I was not realy as bad as I though it would be.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: