Shower base Removal

Old 01-04-03, 07:04 PM
dwoods6989
Visiting Guest
Shower base Removal

I am gutting a bathroom over the Holidays. I have removed everything including all walls and floor. The only thing I have not been able to remove is the shower base. How does a shower base connect to the floor. I seems to be connected to the drain pipe some how. The old shower base is 32 x 32. Any help would be kindly appreciated.

Old 01-04-03, 08:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
dwoods6989,

The shower base is possibly connected in 2 areas;

First is the drain assembly. You must remove the strainer cover and depending on what you have, you may see an outside narrow ring that has slots in it, possibly 4 slots that a screwdriver would slip into. This must be unscrewed. This when screwed down acts as a vise for the seal that is used to create a leak-proof drain. Once removed, pry out the black O-ring dain seal. This is standard on most shower bases. If you are unable to unscrew this and sometimes it is difficult but since you are replacing it, break out a sawzall - DO NOT CUT THE DRAIN PIPE ITSELF. ***STUFF A RAG INTO THE DRAIN TO PREVENT A CLOG***

Second is the shower base itself is probably anchored to the studs with nails or screws. This would be located on the nailing flange, I am assuming that you already did this but just in case. You will easily see where the base is attached. Remove all fasteners and it should come out.

REMOVE THIS CAREFULLY AS YOU MAY NOT KNOW HOW SOMEONE DID THE DRAIN ASSEMBLY. IT MIGHT BE CAST IRON OR PVC.

I hope I explained this right...let me know!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: