Moisture Problems in Bathroom

Old 01-05-03, 08:22 PM
pgowder
Visiting Guest
Moisture Problems in Bathroom

Our bathroom is having moisture problems. The paint is peeling and the fixtures and hinges are rusting. We even have part of the wall will bad mildew.

We want to repair this. Any tips on helping solve the moisture problem?

Also when we repaint is there anything special we should do in order to prevent these problems in the future?

Someone told us to use a semi-gloss paint???

Thanks!

Old 01-05-03, 08:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pgowder,

Sounds like you got problems! I assume that you don't have an exhaust fan but probably have a window? Somebody must take alot of HOT showers! Before I go further what do we have in the bathroom now?

Old 01-05-03, 10:59 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moisture

pgowder,

I had the same problem with my house when purchased.

The bathrooms (2) had no vent fans, and the previous home owner had wallpappered the walls and ceiling. (Thats right, the ceiling)

We stripped off the paper and, Surprise , mildew out the kazoo.

Your first move should be to check the drywall and make sure its still solid, and not crumbling.

If the paper or drywall are bad, its a tear out and replace job.

If its still good, mix up a weak solution of bleach in water, and lightly spray the area, wipe off the mold, and let it dry. Not all of the mold or mildew will come off, but the bleach should kill it.

Next, paint the area with "Kilz". Its a special paint just for this problem, and can be found in most hardware stores. I usually apply several coats.

Next, paint with your standard paint.

Two things...

Don't drywall over the old mildew, it will spread, possibly make you sick, and the insurance comany will void coverage.

Second, Install a vent fan ASAP to prevent further problems.

Txfirepro

Old 01-06-03, 04:52 PM
pgowder
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies.

We do have a fan but it is a very small room and the fan just isn't enough.

There is also a window in the room.

Old 01-17-03, 05:50 PM
Jermy
Visiting Guest
It sounds like the bathroom I just redid. It ended up totally stripping the walls, and starting over. The Kilz is a good idea, I would also recomend using a kitchen and Bath paint. Which is available at most hardware stores.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: