bathtub replacement

Old 01-11-03, 05:36 PM
crisikius
Visiting Guest
bathtub replacement

Took out a standing tiled shower and am replacing with iron tub. As part of this project, I am remodeling entire bathroom down to the 1"X6" subfloor. I plan on using duroroc as subsurface for floor and wall yet don't know what should go under the tub. Any thoughts?

Old 01-11-03, 08:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
crisikius,

Normally, your subfloor will be the only thing required under the tub, nothing else. When the tub is installed, the durock should butt right up against it, then your tile over it.

Good luck!

Old 01-22-03, 07:43 AM
kk007
Visiting Guest
So, the tub just sits on the sub floor, which I guess 3/4" plywood. Don't I need any type of cushion underneath? What about the rest of the floor? How do you build "Mud" floor for tiles? Thanks for your help.

Old 01-22-03, 07:58 AM
kk007,

Normally with a cast iron tub nothing is required beneath it but I wouldn't think putting a 5 gallon pail of Joint Compound under the bottom would hurt anything. It will be a solid base support!

You got me wondering what you are doing. If you are going to use Durock over the subfloor, then using thinset would be used for floor tiles. This is much easier, extremely solid and no mess.

If you are talking about a mud base floor system, i.e. 30# felt paper, metal lath and sand/concrete mix then your tile, there is no need for the Durock on the floor as this system doesn't require it. This takes time, mud base must be level and is a harder process.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-22-03, 10:09 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
I would stay away from the joint compound under there. If it gets wet it will be a moldy stinky mess. An iron tub does not need any support beyond the floor. The flimsy steel tubs might need some support.

Old 01-22-03, 02:35 PM
brickeyee,

Just to help you out, the use of mortar or plaster (joint compound) is RECOMMENDED for tubs, whirlpools and shower pans by Jacuzzi, Lasco and American Standard. Some Kohler models recommend it but few. I've done alot of these, check out their installation manuals, you'll be surprised.

As I said and you agreed, most steel tubs do not need additional support but there are some flimsy ones out there.

Once joint compound is hard, placing it in water doesn't make it go soft in minutes. This stuff is pretty hard! Besides, if you had that much water under a tub, something is really wrong!

Hope this helps!

Old 01-23-03, 10:27 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
And what does the drywall compound company have to say? The joint compound I used to use goes soft so fast you can wet sand it. And if you are not carefull make divots. I would use mortar. there is a time and a place for adapting materials. Since a superior material is easily available, I do not think this is it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: